Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

Kenmore 790 Gas Range Tried to clean with chemical spray,

Customer Question

Kenmore 790 Gas Range
Tried to clean with chemical spray, not happy with results, so tried the self cleaning feature. Cleaned for approx. 1 hr, then sputtering sound and all electrical shut off.
Now, control panel blank and door locked.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy : My name isXXXXX assist you tonight
repairguy : Can you please give me the rest of the model number if it is available to you
Customer: 790.7887942
repairguy : Give me a second here I am trying to take a look at the parts breakdown.
repairguy : I am sure the cooling fan is what you heard make the noise, I just need to see the rest of the parts.
repairguy : What has happened is the fan stopped circulating and the oven sensor went out of range and has locked everything out. I do not see a high limit thermostat, so I am sure the only parts you should need are the new oven sensor and a new fan.
repairguy : Do you need me to locate and price them for you?
Customer: Yes.
Customer: Also, how do I bypass the lockout?
repairguy : PS1528543 is the sensor it sells for $21.64 and P316459100 is the motor and it sells for $54.59. You can buy both parts from www.searspartsdirect.com
repairguy : Once you install the new sensor your lock mechanism will reactivate and open the door. If you want in sooner you will need to make a hook and pull a little to the left and the door should open
Customer: Diagrams?
repairguy : Sorry I could not get one for myself. To access both parts you will need the pull the unit away from the wall and remove the rear panel. You will see where the parts go as soon as you remove the rear panel.
Customer: Thanks.
repairguy : anytime if you get stuck, just come back to this thread and I will assist you. Please take a minute to rate my answers before you call it a night.
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Sears website is not finding part number: PS1528543 - sensor.
Suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Owner's manual lists part XXXXXXXXX Probe, oven temp.
Sears website lists replacement part XXXXXXXXX Probe for $56.39.
Is this the same part as the sensor we discussed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
No response to followup questions:
You replied
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:52 PM EST
Suggestions?

You replied
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:03 AM EST
Owner's manual lists part 316217001 Probe, oven temp.
Sears website lists replacement part 316490001 Probe for $56.39.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

good morning , I'm sorry your having issues finding out if thats the correct part, yet it is the sensor.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
different site have different part numbers. Here is a link where you can order it for , $20.80. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Sensor/316490001/1259650?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=316217001?RCAID=1000065 site is great they will take any part back no questions asked even if you installed it and it wasn't the issue. hope this helps. thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome, have a great day, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Installed the new sensor. The control panel did not activate and the oven door remained locked.

The connectors did not match, so wires connected with wirenuts. Approximately 1 ohm resistance through sensor and wirenut connections.

Another suggestion?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

You should read approximately 1100 ohms at room temp for the oven sensor, are you sure it was one ohm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll check again.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Recalibrated meter.

Reading of approximately 0.7 ohm through the reattached plastic connector. With the plastic separator between the two wire ends, I do think my probes could be contacting.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Not good, either you have a bad connection the probe is shorted out...

SHould read 1100 ohms +/-10%

Here is a video on testing it

Click_here

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Removed sensor to test as in video, same reading, will try another sensor.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Second sensor w/ 1087 ohms resistance installed. The lock mechanism did not reactive; the door did not open. There was no response on the control panel.

With the lack of response from the range, I did not try to bypass the door lock or install the fan.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Is there voltage going to the door lock when you try to make it work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Try to make it work?

Pulled white and brown wires off the door lock motor. With range plugged in, there was no voltage reading across the two wires.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I think that not getting power to the motor, that you have a controller problem, Very likely the relay is bad on the control board...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can the relay be replaced or are we talking replacement of the whole control board?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Entire control board replacement.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.