Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Whirlpool Frig ED22DSXEN00 (1996) ran well for 17yrs. Suddenly

Whirlpool Frig ED22DSXEN00 (1996) ran well for 17yrs. Suddenly there are no interior lamps and the evap. fan runs only when the door is opened so it is not cooling the cavity properly. To date, I have replaced the defrost bi-metal, cold control, evap. fan motor and the adaptive defrost control which have not helped. The compressor starts and runs well but when it is running there is only 80 volts supplied to the evap. motor leads. When I turn off compressor, there is 120v supplied to the same leads. The compressor overload and start relay and comp. terminals all check out in tolerance. What should I check next?
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Have you checked the incoming power connection that is a bad neutral. Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just pushed a GB circuit tester into outlet and it lit up as a correct outlet.
Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one sec while I pull up the wiring diagram
Ok after checking it out I would say the issue is the neutral wiring. The evap fan neutral ties directly to the light switch. Pull the light switch out, you have to pry it out. I bet it is burned up or the switch itself is bad causing the both issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I removed both door lamp switches and did continuity tests on each per the Whirlpool DIY repair manual. Both passed. Each switch appears to be like new with no carbon traces or burned smells. I tested the light bulbs and they work. I also ran resistance test on the condenser fan motor and got 511 ohms. My manual says the normal range for this is 80-120 ohms. Could this be a problem?
So neither lights are working at all correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Correct- none of the lights will come on.
If none of the lights work check across the wires on the door switch itself...see if it reads 120 volts. If it does the switch may be bad. You would have to do this live so take precaution
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Removed leads from frig door light sw. Getting 85V. Turned knob of Cold control to ON and only the cond. fan ran NOT compressor. Voltage dropped to 81 V for this test. With cold control OFF,I reconnected the leads to the switch and the evap. fan worked as before only with the frig door open. Opening or closing the freezer door does not change anything with that. Turned ON cold control and cond. fan and compressor ran like before. Getting 121V between the run and common terminals of compressor.
You have a bad connection, when a load is applied the voltage drop to 81 is a clear sign of a corroded or burned connection. I would check the wiring to the lamp sockets themselves or any modular plug harnesses on the unit. These can be difficult to trace down, but it will be a connection issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Guru, I will be digging into the wiring, connections and sockets Friday after work. I will report back on what I find so you will get credit for your work. Thank You! David
Ok np