Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my side by side GE is running but not freeaing as it should.

my side by side GE is running but not freeaing as it should. the space between the two doors is very hot. I read that there was a mullion heater that could be causing the problem, but this is an older model and there is not an energy switch, the only numbers that I can find are GSS20IE.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So on this particular model, the mullion heater only gets really hot when the compressor is overheating. Can you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel behind the unit to expose the compressor and other unit parts please? The fan next to the compressor is likely not running. If you have a multimeter you can test to see if it's getting 120 volts. If it's getting 120 volts and you don't see something blocking the fan blade from moving, you need to just order and replace the condenser fan motor. You'll need the full model number to look up the condenser fan motor. The full model is located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator. If you're not getting power to the fan motor, then you'd need to replace the main control board which is behind an 8" x 10" sheet metal panel on the back of the refrigerator.

Now, if by some chance you find that the fan is running--you need to try to clean the coils below the refrigerator to see if the compressor will cool down. If that doesn't solve the problem, the compressor itself would need to be replaced because it's overheating for no reason.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cage around the fan motor was completely stopped up, cleaned and vacuumed the cage the compressor was very hot. I let it cool off and then plugged back in, now it will not even start. is it possible the compressor got so not as to knock out something else?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You may just need to let it cool down a bit more and the unit could be in defrost so when you plug the unit in, it might take up to an hour before the fans and compressor start running again. Other than that, if nothing is running at all you may end up needing to replace the main control board. If the compressor just gets really hot and won't start but the fans are running, then you may have a damaged compressor now and the compressor would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just restarted and the fam is running, so it was probably just that it need a cleaning real bad. I will just wait and see what nappens.

Thank You.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and I'm glad I could help you today. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.