Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

we have a Ge monogram built in 2006, ZIS480D, model number

Customer Question

we have a Ge monogram built in 2006, ZIS480D, model number on the circut board is VCC3 115601 F 04. It stopped cooling and freezing. About 1 month ago the water dispenser kept locking in the on position as well. The lights come on as well as the fan, no clicking noises. The circut board does not look damaged but the casing on the outside has a burn mark on it. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Does only the water get stuck or does the ice do that also?

If the unit has a digital display is anything indicated on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the water sticks. Only sign of life in the unit right now is that the fan and lights work. can't really tell if the compressor is working.

Thank you.

Which fan? The one in the freezer compartment (evaporator fan)or the one at the bottom of the unit (condenser fan)?

To check the compressor access the back of the unit and unplug it. Place your hand on th ecompressor and plug it back in. You will feel it start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only fan I see is behind the compressor on the top of the fridge.Its a built in so I think its all on top.

Imn going to turn you over to our refrigeration guru. Im not that familliar with this unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX anyone there have a volt meter or a test light?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i do but I am not an electrician is it something you could walk me through it
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes I would not ask you to do it without pictures give me a few minutes to get some pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have both a pen and a voltage meter
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for waiting. A pen may work, I am not very familiar with them but it may.

Take a look at the diargram below. At the top usually in the front on the right is the cover I have arrowed red. The control board is under that. Locate that part and let me know when you have found it. There should be a lot of wires going to it. Do not touch the board yet.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mine doesnt look like the diagram, but what i think you want me to get is the circut board and the box that goes around it. I can send a picture of it
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is it, there is a paper clip here if your browser supports it you can use that to upload a picture of the board.

If not you can upload to tinypic.com and post a link to the picture and I can see it that way.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont see a paper clip, will try the tiny pics

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I understand. That will be fine, I can edit pictures from there.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://tinypic.com/r/fyizkm/5http://tinypic.com/r/4iorjm/5http://tinypic.com/r/feihcp/53 picturesi hope that works because I just got asked out on a date after I uploaded them from a dating web page! lol
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Ooops never seen that happen before. That is the inverter board, you have a variable speed compressor.

There where I have arrowed is a 2 wire connector. If you follow that wire it will lead to the main control board. It will resemble the image at the bottom.

Also around the top there is the model serial sticker, there will be more letters after ZIS480D.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the thing in the first picture, the serial number is XXXXX# XXXXX X10 R4
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That is the inverter. What your looking for is the board that wire goes to, there is another larger board. That is the one you are looking for.

If you look around the top compressor area you will see a small model plate or a sticker with the rest of the model number on it. The number you gave me is okay to find a style of refrigerator but will not be accurate to get correct part numbers.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill post a picture of the sticker on the compressor. i placed a picture on tiny pics of the bigger board you were referring to
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to send the links or I will not be able to see them.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://tinypic.com/r/v73uro/5

http://tinypic.com/r/fyizkm/5

http://tinypic.com/r/4iorjm/5

http://tinypic.com/r/feihcp
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX look at the image below. Arrowed green is where the main board is. Yours should be in the same area.

Where the red arrow is pointing is where the model number is XXXXX for the refrigerator. That is the number I need.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the model number is XXXXX serial number is XXXXX I see what the main board is now, I thought the inverter is what was the main board. Should I put that all back together so we can test it?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
There is no testing for this style, a meter nor will a pen light read between the 2 boards. You should put it back together though and turn it on. Verify that a fan is operating and the compressor is not vibrating lightly to be sure it is not operating. I am positive it is not just from the description of the problem but lets be sure.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will put it back together, but when it was on before the fan was running and the compressor did not vibrate or make any noise. Is this linked to the water dispenser staying in the on poistion as well (same circut board?)
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes the main control board is linked to the water dispenser, the water inlet valve and the compressor as well, they are all tied to that one board. It is the only part that can cause that type of compound problem.

When I started with you I did not realize this was a variable speed compressor. What happens is the main control board sends a frequency instead of voltage to the inverter. Meters will not measure frequency. The reason for frequency is because if the refrigerator needs a lot of cooling the main control board will increase frequency and the inverter in turn will send more power to the compressor to increase coolant flow. Variable speed compressor. Its not the most common style.

And I continued because I wanted to be sure you knew where the main board was because that is the part you will need to change. Most of these board come with a wire. It will connect to the inverter where I drew the red arrow, I put it below. You must replace that wire. This is very important to change it, there is a tiny board in the wire on your refrigerator and it is not made to go with the new board you install.

The new board part number you will need is WR55X10560 you can find that usually at Sears if they have an appliance repair part to their store or any appliance repair shop. You can also use that number online to shop with.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THis didnt work replaced the circut board, should I replace the inverter?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Did your new board come with the wire? Some do and some do not, I cannot tell from the diagrams and part numbers.

Also how long has it been turned on and are the fans still running?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didnt come with the new wire you had talked about. It was turned off for 2 complete days, the fan is still running. It been about 3 hours and the temp is still at 73 degrees. the compressor does not vibrate or make any noises.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes the inverter is the only thing left unless that small wire is bad. You maybe should ohm that wire end to end just to be sure its still good.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know how to test the wire, I have a ohms meter, is it something you can tell me how to do it?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes set your meter to any ohm setting. Touch the 2 probes to each other and watch the meter change. That is what you want to see when you test the wire. It should do the very same thing.

At the board disconnect that small 2 wire connector and the same 2 wire connector at the inverter. Put your probe to one wire at the board and rotate through the 2 wires at the inverter one of them should show a reading. Then repeat for the other wire. If one does not read let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That wire has a connector in the middle I tested it at the connector and there is power, I put it back together and then removed it from the inverter and there is power to the end of the wire as well
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That will work, the part number for the inverter is WR55X11138.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i contact you again if that doesnt work? Or should I just call GE? It's to early to tell but it seems as if the water dispensor not sticking in the on position (it didnt do it all the time but I have tried it several times today and it didnt stick) may be fixed
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can contact me I am almost always nearby. I cannot think of anything else that would keep it from working but either way let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ONE MORE THING, SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. THE INVERTSER PART NUMBER THAT CAME WITH THE MACHINE IS DIFFERENT THEN WHAT YOU LISTED I HAVE WR55X10490

THANKS AGAIN
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem, give me just a minute.

Thanks,"
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
GE has updated the part somehow. You can use either part number you would like but they will send you WR55x1113. It will work just like the one you have. That is a fairly common thing to see.

The manufacturer has replaced part number WR55X10490 with this item, part number WR55X1113.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u! Have a great day, hopefully I will be able to send u some ice in a few days
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome, you have a great day as well.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great news, the inverter has solved the problem. I had to splice the wires because the old connections don't talk to the new plugs. Thanks for all your help
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank goodness. I wish I could have nailed for you at first, its just not possible. Its the way its designed, and even during training the tell us to take both. If one does not work change the other and that was the extent of it. Anyway I am glad it is now working for you. I really appreciated the opportunity, please return when you need us again.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries, I think the water dispenser problem was related to the main circuit board anyway. U still helped save me a ton of money and I learned something new!
My four kids are happy they don't have to keep running out to the garage refrigerator.
Thanks again
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, I hope you and your family have a nice weekend.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the main circuit board didnt chane the ice running continuously but I still think it still is good we replaced it. The compressor is running well but it is so hot to touch I don't know how the wires and new inverter don't melt. Should it get that hot?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
They can get fairly warm. 2 things that can cause it to get hot is the fan up top not operating and the coils that fan cools up there being clogged with dust.

Is the ice maker turning continuously or is the ice auger motor turning?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan is working and the coils are clean, it is almost to hot to touch for more than 2 seconds.

If I use the ice maker for more than 4 seconds it won't turn off. And then if you switch it to water it runs continuously until u open the door and turn on the lock key.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
If you have not already remove the dispenser assembly. There is a switch in there. Try lubricating that switch. That is the only other part that can cause that problem. Have you had it off before?

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I just had a thought, also check inside and feel around the lights. Make sure one is not hot. Do not press the switch. Check the bulbs.

Thanks,
Barry