Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag Atlantis washer (MAV7257AWW) has spin cycle interrupted

Maytag Atlantis washer (MAV7257AWW) has spin cycle interrupted several times by squeaking and braking to a stop (causing the load to bunch together on one side of the tub) before the spinning resumes. These interruptions are repeated several times throughout the spin cycle. At the end of the spin cycle, the clothes are dripping wet. Thank you in advance for any help you can lend.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Does this stop instantly or come to a stop slow ? (does it jam to a stop)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi there. The stop appears to be instant. There's a squeaking noise associated with each stop, as if brakes were suddenly applied. The spinning then resumes until the next time the cycle is suddenly stopped.
okay, replace the pulley and basket drive hub. Basket Drive Hub Kit 12002213 Main Product Viewit comes in a kit. the instructions come with it , if you tip the machine back and look underneath you will see the pulley assembly. heres a link to order the part, its around $47.00. this should take care of your issue. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm going to take your advice and replace the pulley. Just out of curiosity, is my problem very common? And lastly, so that I can understand the science of the problem, can you tell me why the pulley would cause the sudden stopping of the spin cycle? Again, thanks for your help.
the part that causes this is called the hilex its the plastic part above the pully. they wear and slip and it can jam the tub.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again for all your help.
your very welcome, have a great day. thanks , Bryan