Alan
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.
11470909

I have a kitchenaid thermal-convection oven that was bought

I have a kitchenaid thermal-convection oven that was bought in 1998. I have kept excellent care of it and it still looks like new. Yesterday the control panel lost all it's lights and the clock read E...., today the time is back on but I cannot turn anything else on. I looked up the parts and I believe it is the electric clock control board which sells for $362.00 My questions are, first, is this easy enough for me to repair myself and two, should I just replace the whole stove/oven. I want to fix, my husband wants to replace.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alan replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. What is the rest of the error code that shows up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
E3 somthing.....I didn't take note at the time. I thought it was just random. Now the time is back but nothing else. The manual says call for service, my gut tells me it is the control panel electronic board which is expensive.
Expert:  Alan replied 1 year ago.
I believe you are right that the electronic board is bad. It is no longer available from Kitchen-aid. However it can be repaired by sending it to corecentric solutions. They show it will cost 129.99 to repair. If you need information on getting it out I can guide you on that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alan,

Last night we had a power failure and when the power returned the code was back on the stove. It reads F5:E3. Do you still believe that it is the control panel?
Expert:  Alan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do believe from what you have told me that the control is still bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be trying to remove the panel from the oven tonight. I'll keep you posted.
Expert:  Alan replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the panel off? I can guide you through that if needed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Alan,

We bought a control panel on Ebay and just replaced it. The process was easy but it isn't completely working. The panel full light when we plugged it in, then said PF. We waited a minute and then started touching buttons. The control will respond to most buttons but not Start or Cancel, also the top half of numbers, 1 2 3 4 5 6. When we touch the other numbers it reads C-7 or C-8 or C-9, depending on which button you hit. Any ideas? A bad panel that we invested in?

Expert:  Alan replied 1 year ago.
Make sure the Ribbon is inserted completely. If it is then yes it has to be a faulty control. PF just stands for Power Failure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We reset the Ribbon and it seems to be completely seated and then locked in place. The panel still will not start or cancel. When we touch a button like Bake, it lights up and then says Start? We tried to cancel and start, neither would work. The only way to cancel was to touch Clock. Can the ribbon be defective?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have again checked the ribbon and I believe there is a little rip in the ribbon. Does this mean the ribbon needs to be replaced? I also think the touch panel is bad. Is that a separate part?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alan,

I see that you are waiting for an answer from me but I still am not finished with this problem and I was looking for more information from you. As we took this stove apart I see that there is another part that could be the problem. It would be the ribbon wire or the touch pad. Are those parts replaceable? From what I can tell it would be $500 for the touch pad!

Expert:  Alan replied 1 year ago.
If there is a tear in the ribbon, then it will need to be replaced. Unfortunately it is part of the touch pad/control panel assembly, which is no longer available.
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ years in the appliance repair field.