Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My GE refrigerator and freezer has been getting warmer every

My GE refrigerator and freezer has been getting warmer every day. Not the frig is up to 43 degrees and the freezer is at 22. I have tried the troubleshooting tips and they were very simplistic. The appliance seems to be working but it isn't holding temperature. what's the problem?
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

is the compressor running on the machine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like it is running. Don't know how to tell for sure, but it's making normal frig sounds. The model is PSC23NGNA WW, just fyi. On second listening though, i hear air circulating but don't know if i hear the compressor.
OK pull the unit out and remove the back rear panel so you can get at the compressor. See if the compressor fan is running and see if the compressor is hot or vibrating to the touch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is running, warm to the touch and when i put my ear to it it is on.
Ok check inside the freezer and remove the back inside panel of the freezer to look at the evaporator let me know if it is all frosted up or do you see any frost built up on the back wall.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
frost buildup on the back wall. not taking the panel off, too difficult
Ok the frost is the problem. The units heater is likely burned out. You need to defrost the unit and either remove the back panel or get someone out to check the defrost heater out. If you completely defrost the unit(freezer). It will work ok when plugged back in for about 3-5days before the frost will start building again. That is the issue though and completely repairable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, one more thing i noticed is that the top is much colder than the bottom. the ice cube trays are still frozen at top, but the frozen fruit at the bottom is totally thawed. is that consistent with your diagnosis?
The only way to truly check is pull off the panel in the freezer. If the evaporator looks only frosted on the top half and shiny bare aluminum on the bottom half that would be a freon leak issue. If the whole thing is frosted up, then you just have a defrost problem likely the heater. That is very common on that model.