Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

There is frost building up in the back of my freezer compartment.

There is frost building up in the back of my freezer compartment. My Maytag is a bottom drawer freezer. I have had the temp set at 4 and 5.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately this is quite a big problem you have on your hands. THe frost on the back panel means that your refrigerator isn't defrosting automatically properly. Now the reason this is a big problem is because the defrost system on this unit was completely re-designed. There is a kit with a new display board, defrost thermostat, some insulation, and a fan blade for the evaporator fan motor that was designed to make the defrost system more efficient. You could always just unplug the unit for 24 hours and let all the frost behind the back panel thaw out, but replacing the kit iw really the only way to ensure that the problem will not come back. Either way, below is a link to the kit you'd need to order for this model and it comes with instructions.

CLICK HERE for kit

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I clicked on the kit number, it asked for my model number and then stated that particular kit number was not compatible. Can you please recheck the kit number? Thank you.
Yes, the kit is compatible. Please ignore that compatibility checker from the website. It's never accurate and isn't up to date as to which models the kit works on I'm afraid. I'm sorry about the confusion.