Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

I have a GE model GSS25QSTASS and I am replacing the dispencer

I have a GE model GSS25QSTASS and I am replacing the dispencer assembly because the funnel broke. I have the new part WR49X10228 but I can't figure out have to put on the spring, because the instructions in the box are too dim. Where do I attach it?"

tom goellner : The pring fits over the shaft on the righht side . The spring has a hook that fits into a hole in the plastic that is attached to the flapper. the free end of the spring is against the plastic housing when installed so that it forces the flapper shut when the solenoid , which opens the flapper , is not energized.
Customer: The spring has a j shaped longer end on one side and a shorter and a b shaped end on the other side. Neither end seems to fit over the shaft on the right hand side of the flapper (left when looking at the back of the assembly) and I don't see a hole in the plastic
Customer: You can call me if possible at XXX-XXX-XXXX
Customer: There's a slot that one end of the spring lays end but no hole in mine. Once I saw that, I figured it out. Thanks for your help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Tom, This GE fridge has never done the best job at crushing ice. Would changing the blades help, and is it hard to do.
They don't chop ice as small as you'd probably like. Look at the serrated blades in there towards the front of the dispenser - if they are not loose or misshaped in any way , don't waste your time.