Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag refrigerator, bottom freezer model number MBF2258WES2

I have a Maytag refrigerator, bottom freezer model number MBF2258WES2 serial number K01155626. The refrigerator has stopped cooling. This has happened before and I was told by Maytag to unplug it for a few days to let it thaw. That works for a while but then stops again. Last time I turned it off but didn't unplug it and it worked for even a shorter time. In the freezer water is settling on the bottom and freezing and I have to chop it out every once in a while....please help....this is my second and last Maytag refrigerator
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It actually sounds like you have 2 different problems. Although it may just be one problem. The one problem that you definitely have is that your drain line is clogged and needs to be cleaned out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer including the entire freezer sliding bin and all the racks, shelf supports, and icemaker. Then remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

Now if you wanted to avoid doing all of that, you can unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours and then pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel behind the entire unit. Locate the drain hose coming from the drain hole inside the freezer and blow compressed air up and that will clean out the drain line.

Your other issue of the unit needing to be defrosted could be caused from the added moisture created from the freezer not draining properly. So you'll want to fix the drain issue first and if the cooling still acts up but the leaking has stopped occuring, then you'd need a new defrost control kit which was redesigned. Below is a link to the kit you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for kit

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I remove the top shelf in the freezer?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Its hard to say for certain without being there because it's been re-designed a few times. But you either pull it open and remove the screws through the side rails. Or there are plastic release clips at the back that you pry on to unlock the clips and the shelf pulls out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am soaking wet from sweating....found two screws at the front and removed but still can get it out??? or bottom shelf...can i send you a picture?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you're struggling, then I wouldn't remove this rack. This rack is incredibly hard to remove and I imagine you have the geared track which for a trained technician takes about 1 hour to remove. There should be angled 1/4" screws in the front of that track. Remove those screws and then you need to reach inside above the bin and use a flat head screwdriver and pry in on the middle of the track to bow the track in the middle and that will release a hook toward the back of the rack. Once that's released the entire track will slide back so you can pull it out.

But you can damage stuff trying to remove this track and it's not something I'd recommend doing if you have this system so I would go with the other method I told you.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.