Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My clothes dryer, which runs on natural gas, seems to be the

My clothes dryer, which runs on natural gas, seems to be the source of a strong gas smell that now seems to permeate my entire garage. Should I be concerned? Do I need to call the gas company?
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Yes you should call the gas company and shut the gas valve off to the dryer right away. You may have a leak on the dryer or more than likely it is from the gas line to the dryer as it could be cracked I would call right away as this is a potential fire hazard. This also could cause an explosion if enough gas builds up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's midnight where I am. I think I've turned off the gas to the dryer...the main gas shutoff to the house is rusted shut...or I guess rusted open. Do you think I need to call even though it's the middle of the night?
I would air out the area and see if you still are smelling gas if you are yes then you should call after hours they will come out