Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a Whirlpool Refrigerator Side-by-Side Mdl # XXXXX

I have a Whirlpool Refrigerator Side-by-Side Mdl # XXXXX fithe the following problems: The night light and the ice despenser doesn't work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Do you have a ohm meter and a voltage meter to make measurements as needed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an ohm meter and a voltage meter. What other information do you need from me?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Does the water dispenser still work on the unit, and have you checked the bulb to see if it was still good?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The water dispenser still works and I replaced the bulb with a new one. The bulb will not light up.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Can you please reverify the model number for me please, this number you give is not a valid one..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model# XXXXX S03

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
If you remove the kick plate below the door, near the left hinge, you should have a wire harness connector there. make sure that it is plugged in all the way and making a good connection..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the kick plate but the only wire harness is in the back of the refrigerator. To gain access to that harness, I will have to pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the back. The correct model # XXXXX: GS6SHAXLS03. I can't read my writing.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I did some research in the meantime. Most likely one of the microswitches broke off inside the dispenser, you pop off the cover of the dispenser you will see this.. it holds a micro switch on both sides, one for water and one for ice.. Need to see if it broken..

Bracket(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's the problem. It looks like I will have to replace the entire plate since it is all one piece.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
It is cheap, click on the blue link to order it.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech