Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Model Number: MDG216REW1 Gas dryer Brand: White-Westinghouse Age:

Customer Question

Model Number: MDG216REW1 Gas dryer
Brand: White-Westinghouse
Age: MFG 1998

The timer connections came off as I moved the top back up and now I don't know what wires go where. Perhaps someone here knows or has access to the info and can help me out. I've been searching for this info for over a week, and when I talked to Westinghouse who were very co-operative, by the way, they led me down a road to nowhere.

Here's what I have: Gas Dryer Timer Connection- White Westinghouse Frigidaire Universal Multiflex-timer.jpg

Terminals are A,B,C,AD,TM,TD

Wires are White, Tan or Brown, Orange, Pink, Red. The Tan connector is a splice of two tan wires, or a "Y" with the connection at the single end, not two at the "Y."

If I can get this completed, the little woman wold be very pleased and so would I. Can someone help me out here? Many thanks, Orville
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Frigidaire service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

Orville, Give me two minutes to look up your model and try to get the wiring diagram for you.

Customer:

take three.... :)

Jon :

Thanks.

Jon :

Ok

Jon :

this is going to be harder then anticipated to get the wiring diagram for you. Your machine has been discontinued.

Jon :

There was no tech sheet in the console area where the timer was? if it wasnt there, did you try pulling the back access panel off the machine? sometimes it is there.

Customer:

No tech sheet. I searched the machine thoroughly. I realize its an older machine, but I thought that it would be easier because of that. But sadly, no. No diagram.

Jon :

ok. let me do some more digging. be right back.

Customer:

Waiting with worms in my mouth..... I figured it would be a challenge....

Jon :

sorry for the delay. it looks like i will not be able to get the correct wiring diagram for your model and serial machine.

Jon :

do you want me to try to walk you through it anyway?

Customer:

I would be interested in trying anything at this point...

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

the timer you have now, the new one, is it part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN cost about $130?

Customer:

Its the original timer. The original problem was front seals, belt, bearing and idler. The timer always worked well.

Jon :

oh. gotcha.

Jon :

and it just got disconnected as you were working on it?

Customer:

yeah, I was moving the top back into position and the connectors came off the timer.

Jon :

darn it. hate it when that happens

Customer:

Stoopid me did not think to write any of the info down or take a picture....

Jon :

ok. all the wires came off the timer? what are terminal labels on the timer and the wires?

Jon :

thats ok. it happens to all of us. now next time this wont happen again, right?

Jon :

let me see if I can get you through the rewire just from experience on working with these machines

Customer:

Copy dat. I ALWAYS do take pictures and make notes, but this time no. Terminals are A,B,C,AD,TM,TD Wires are White, Tan or Brown, Orange, Pink, Red. The Tan connector is a splice of two tan wires, or a "Y" with the connection at the single end, not two at the "Y."

Jon :

ok. lets see what we can do here.

Jon :

power is off to the dryer now, correct?

Customer:

power is off, gas not connected, unit downstairs, me upstairs but I can go to the machine.

Jon :

ok. do you see the red and white wires? If you follow them back, where do they go? those should be your main power wires. Your L1 and L2 wires.

Customer:

ok...I might have to remove the drum to do this, right?

Jon :

if you cant see it, yes. but if it is that difficult for you to do now, dont worry about it. I will call frigidaire directly tomorrow and have them send me the wiring diagram for your model machine in the morning tomorrow. This will be the easiest and most accurate way for us to wire the timer back in.

Jon :

I will get back to you here tomorrow. what is your availability?

Customer:

About this time tomorrow would be perfect. I am in Tijuana and have long days...so yeah, around this time.

Jon :

ok. that is better for me as well. I will try to get the info we need and get back to you here tomorrow.

Jon :

have a good night.

Customer:

Thanks man. I mean, Im game for tearing the unit down, but it would probably be a safer bet to get the diagram if you can. If not, then we can do the routine tomorrow..... you too. have a good one...

Jon :

yes. it would be easier, safe and better to do it with the wiring diagram. Talk to you tomorrow.

Customer:

o ver and out.

Jon :

just bookmark or save this page to your favorites so you can quickly come back here tomorrow.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Orville,

I am still here for you. The chat didn't end. I just switched it from live chat to question and answer format. Please respond back to me here in the same,e way you were doing previously and I will see you responded and get back to you.

I will get the wiring diagram from Frigidaire tomorrow and get back to you here. Then we will wire the timer back in together.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Got it. Talk to you tomorrow...

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
k
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Orville,

Bad news. I have called electrolux and frigidaire, the owners of the westinghouse machine you have, and unfortunately the model has been discontinued and the techs cant get any wiring diagram or any other tech sheets for this machine because it has been discontinued.

This means that it will be extremely hard to find the wiring diagram. I will continue my search and even will look for the wiring diagram in the stack that I have of my own personal ones at home. If we cant turn up the diagram I will still work with you to try to get this thing wired up correctly so you can use the dryer.

I will get back to you here within the next day or so if I have found the wiring diagram we need. Or if I cant find it I will get back to you here and schedule a day and time that we can work on the dryer.

Thanks talk to you soon.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Orville,

I am going to include a link to a website that will have the similar model dryer timer to yours. This is the newer style but it is the most closely similar to yours. You will notice the terminals are labeled a bit differently then the one you have. The x terminal on the wiring diagram timer is the AD terminal on yours. And the R terminal on the timer from diagram is the TD terminal on your timer.

So just follow the wiring diagram and you will see how to wire in the timer.

So the tm terminal on your dryer timer should be wire that actually just goes to the timer itslef. usually a black wire.
B terminal should have the red wire.
A terminal should be orange wire.
C terminal should be white wire.
AD terminal should have the tan.

And from this you should be able to see where the remaining wire goes.

Here is the wiring diagram. just copy and paste the link to your browser to open.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or run into more trouble and I will help you more.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. The link did not make it through, the program is probably filtering out stuff like that. If you want to send the link to me, then you would use orvilleboutilier at g mail dot com. When I receive it, Ill tackle the job...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I decided to throw caution out the window and do the hook up. Everything works fine. Tomorrow I will complete the hook up. Obviously I am very pleased with your help. I searched everywhere for this solution and I am an "answer guy" myself, believe me.

I will message you tomorrow when I run it with gas to make certain everything is OK and there are no more issues, but to see that drum rolling around and around tonight was a fabulous way to end the week. And you made it happen, good stuff man.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Orville,

Great. I am glad you got it working. Well with out gas anyway. But if it runs now it will most likely work with the as connected tomorrow. If it doesn't please let me know and I will continue my search for the proper wiring.

I know it is a pain in the neck working on these machines. Especially if there is no,more info for the discontinued model. Sometime these things happen though. Which is why it is a good idea when working on these machines for you to either write down all the wired connections before removing parts or just take a picture.

I am glad I could help you. If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating so that I may get credit for helping you. And if you need to get back to me here again for any reason please do and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks. And please let me know how the dryer runs while connected to gas supply.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gas connected, machine cleaned up to "like new," starts, runs lights, heat etc, so we're in good shape.

Want to say thanks again for sticking to it and hangin in there on this tough case. Many techs could not or would not take it on but you did and I respect that. So now you're my appliance go-to guy if I have any further issues. Good luck witrh your business and I hope this site is a decent revenue stream -you deserve it.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Orville,

You are very welcome for the help with the dryer. It was a pleasure helping you. I would like to thank you for being patient with me as well. A lot of the times we get questions like these where models are discontinued the customer will not understand it becomes way more difficult to get information.

Please feel free to get back to me at any time with any questions you may have on your kitchen and laundry appliances and I will help you to the best of my knowledge.

You can come directly back to me by using this link below. This is my profile link to the website. By asking your question in the box below my profile picture you will save time in getting a response or answer from an expert. The question will come directly to me with in a minute and I will respond back to you quickly. Your are basically bypassing the question list where all the questions get jumbled together. Alot of questions still get or go unnoticed. So by having you ask your question directly to me it will save you a lot of time in getting a response back. And since you know from past experience, I only answer questions honestly and knowledgeably so you know you are getting a quality answer.

Here is the link. just copy and paste it to your browser to open. Or just save ti to your bookmarks or favorites in your computer.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-jon-grella/

Thank you again and I will look forward to helping you in the future.