Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

RC Air conditioner model RAS-28NKHP will not work on heat

Customer Question

RC Air conditioner model RAS-28NKHP will not work on heat mode
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

if after changing the cap it doesnt blow the fuse then we are in the right direction.

Jon :

does the control panel work as normal?

Customer:

Yes

Jon :

If everything works as normal on ac mode but does nothing on heat mode then you will need a new control board. but if it runs and just doesnt give heat, please make sure the fans are running.

Jon :

have you tried unplugging the unit for ten minutes and plugging it back in then hitting and holding the cancel or off or power button for ten seconds? this will reset the board.

Customer:

Fans are running, but no heat. Works on all other modes

Jon :

try that now if nothing else works and let me know what happens for you?

Jon :

How old is this machine?

Customer:

7yr

Customer:

how much for the control board, approx?

Jon :

Ok. so it is out of warranty then.

Customer:

yep

Jon :

control boardf is about $150. it will not be worth it for you to replace it on a machine that is over 6 years old. especially if you have already spent money on the cap.

Jon :

it will be better for you to get a new machine. one that is more energy effecient.

Jon :

i recommend a Maytag

Jon :

it will be cheaper and last you longer.

Jon :

overall a better machine.

Jon :

sorry for the bad news here. please try the reset first. that works about 30% of the time. with any luck it will work for you. if not, we know the cap shorted out the board.

Customer:

It is a big unit and we just had 4 x Daikin fitted last year, this one is original with the house when we bought it, I know it'll be around $5k to replace with a Daikin.

Jon :

was it in a heat mode when it failed on you?

Customer:

Just wanted to make it last a bit longer as we don't use it that often

Customer:

Yes

Jon :

sorry. i thought you were referring to a room ac / heat machine?

Jon :

give me one minute.

Customer:

It is but it sits in a difficult location, the cost would be for fitment

Customer:

I have a sparky coming this arvo but wanted a second opinion

Jon :

thats what i thought. ok.

Jon :

yes. if the heat side doesnt work but works fine on ac mode, then the control board will need to be replaced.

Customer:

If I suggest the board to him we'll see what he comes up with.

Customer:

Thanks for the help

Jon :

especially if the cap was the issue before and was tripping the breaker on your mains. and now that the cap waas replaced it doesnt do that any more. but just doesnt give you any heat.

Jon :

you will need to replace the main control.

Jon :

you are very welcome.

Customer:

Okay thank you

Jon :

if you have any other questions please get back to me here and I will be glad to help you more.

Customer:

will do bye for now

Jon :

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating so that I may get credit for helping you from the website.

Jon :

And if you need more help or have more questions at a later time, please feel free to come back to me here again at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks again.

Jon :

Are you still there? Do you have any more questions for me now? If not, please dont forget to give me a positive rating. Thanks

Jon :

I noticed you still haven't given me a positive rating yet. Is there something else you need or do you have more questions for me?

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Tony.

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have more questions please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.