Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

We have a 1989 Whirlpool Heavy Duty washer--model number LA5558XSWO

We have a 1989 Whirlpool Heavy Duty washer--model number LA5558XSWO that is leaking water out of the BACK of the washer--NOT at the hose/water intakes but at two plastic clips/holes that are about 6 inches from the top of the machine. The water comes out only when the machine is filling up with water before the wash and rinse cycle. Can this be repaired and is it worth a repairman for a 24-year old washer????
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Take a look at the diagram below. Is the part that is leaking the one I have arrowed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not think so--but we have not removed the back of the washer. THE WATER IS COMING OUT OF TWO PLASTIC SLOTS RIGHT above the number 54 on the diagram

That is where it is, that is the only thing in the area other than the hose that runs to that part I have arrowed. You can double check me and there is even a video that shows how to replace that part. Give me a few minutes to get all the information together for you, I believe you can fix it yourself for around $30.

Do not remove the back of the washer. Hang on a few minutes and I will explain how to check it and also provide you a link to the video and the part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sounds great!!--I'll wait for your explanation and link to the video

This is what to do. Click the link below for the video, then click the video that has your name on it. Follow that far enough to get the white case off. Then make sure everything is safe, plug the washer in and start a fill with water. Locate the leak, 99% of the time its in that plastic part that lets the water in just over the tub.

If you are unsure which part I mean you can watch the whole video of course. It is linked just below.

The part being described is below just click the link.

Be sure to unplug the power cord after you stop the water fill so you do not get hurt. If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.