Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Viking fridge open door alarm goes off at 50 minute intervals

Customer Question

Viking fridge open door alarm goes off at 50 minute intervals despite door being closed. Have to press alarm off to kill alarm but it just come back nearly an hour later,

The open door red light is flashing but no other lights are.

This has just started today but am fearful it will wake me all thru the night.

Is there a way to reboot the fridge?

Many thanks
Shawn
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

Francis : Hello, can we have the complete model number please? Do you see a door switch on the trim of the door inside the unit?
Francis : If you do see a door switch, do you have a meter to measure resistance? We can try checking the contacts of the door switch.
Francis : By the way, do you have lights inside the unit and do they open and shut as you open and close the door?
Customer: Switch is in upper right corner. Sorry no meter. The switch looks spring activated.lights go on off normally.
Customer: i have already power cycled the fridge.freezer.
Francis : Please bear with me with my questions, I do this to get more informations. Is the unit cooling normally? I asked because the alarm could not be a door switch alarm but something different because it would only take 5 minutes it trigger the door alarm switch and not 50 minutes.
Customer: Seems to be cooling normally and the temp lights not flashing, just showing normally
Francis : power cycle meaning....you turn it off and then back on after a few minutes?
Customer: yesnormally yes, at breaker box
Francis : Thank you for that.If the switch is turning the lights on and off, I would say it is fine unless, it has 4 terminals that would control a fan a that could be the on acting up. Can you pry the switch slowly to see how many wires re connected to it?
Customer: Sorry Francis I can't get it to move enough. No can see.
Francis : ok. Thank you for those info. Do you have a model number please? I will try to see if I could find a schematic. I know Vikings are very hard to find.
Customer: The model number it top of roof of unit is VCBB363RSS
Customer: its a 15.2 cu ft fridge atop 5.1 cu ft freezer
Francis : Ok. Please hold on . I will try to look for a schematic. Give me 5 minutes.
Customer: Okay....
Francis : Hello, Sorry but it is not on my data base. I will opt out and hopefully another expert could grab your question as it is listed on the top of the list. My idea is that it is not the switch but rather different.
Customer: Sorry to hear that. I've not used this service before. Do other experts jump in regularly?
Francis : At this time, could be a little hard to find anyone working so late, but who knows...we may have some night owls out there.
Customer: Thanks Francis
Francis : You are very much welcome.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service, I am sorry for the delay, I just got started. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freezer is definitely blowing cold air . I can see no frosty spot.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Try this first and this will take time. Tape the door light switches in both sections up tight with tape so the lights are out. Close the doors and see if in about the same amount of time as before if the alarm goes off again. Take your time I will be here.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have taped down the fridge switch but the freezer door does not seem to have accessible switch that I can see. May be back in the housing where the drawer rail inserts at the back?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure yet, it is true the diagrams are extremely hard to come by. If its not around the door frame I will need a diagram. I am still looking for them.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems the fridge is now making pronounced vibration sound. Is this due to the taping down of the switch?

Incidentally the alarm has not gone off in past 45 mins, but the interval was almost an hour previous times
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I understand, it could be the door is not depressing the switch as deeply as normal. Yes the vibration could be caused by the switch. Does it sound like its coming from inside the freezer area?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it was fridge area but stopped after about ten minutes. Sounds normal, switched still taped down.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you I am still looking for a parts diagram, I am so sorry. I have a ton of these just not that one. Lets wait a bit more and see if the alarm goes off again.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fair enough....making cuppa tea...
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That is great, just give me a shout when you think you have waited long enough or if it goes off.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Take a look at these. Does your control look like one of the 3 below?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not identical but very close to images one and two. Not three.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Those are the 2 bottom freezer manuals I have. I have over 300 but not that exact model, thats why it takes me a while to get through them all.

Has the alarm sounded yet?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no alarm and no "odd" sounds... If it maintains I may try to get some sleep (pdt here). Reckon living with the switched taped down not good idea though, eh?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

I am on est where I am. I take a break around noon when I can get free. Make a post and I will see it. No it really is not a good idea, just a good test. If all stays quiet when you return I will help you make the correct repair depending on what happens. Get some rest, hopefully it will remain silent. Save this page to your favorites.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Seems fridge now been quiet and humming for six hours. We have staunched the bleeding but figure I need to get a Viking guy in?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you will need to do that. Let me crack open my book and see what I can find.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That'd be great...
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
If you look at the side of the fresh food door away from the hinge does it appear lower than the hinge side at the top?

If you open the fresh food door 8 inches and release it does it close without a push?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what is the fresh food door but the main door does not appear off kilter, nor does the produce drawers. The main door will close itself at eight inches, I don't think the produce drawers or meat produce wide drawer evr had that self closing functionality.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I need a picture of that door switch that is taped so I can see the shape of it.You can try to upload a picture here by clicking the paperclip, lately there have been problems with that. If you have trouble upload it to http://tinypic.com/ and send me a link to the picture.

Also inspect the area where the door engages the switch. Be sure everything appears normal there.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX door pushed in a little there where I have circled?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does appear that the top of that uppermost white panel in the door is sticking out about one mm farther than the bottom of that panel. Does this occur over time?Need to jump in car and head to work. Seems this condition can hold for the day?Many thanks for your continued support. I can respond from smartphone but not provide more scene of crime evidence
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes it could, I would try a new door switch. Its either defective or the inner liner of the door is not pressing it deeply enough due to some defect in the door liner. A new switch will work better than an old one and that maybe all you will need to do.

It appears that switch is rectangular, on those you use a putty knife to remove them by prying a little at a time on the left then the right until its out. Be sure the power is off while your changing it. You may be able to find it locally at and appliance parts store, the switches are all fairly standard parts. If you cannot find it there you will have to try the dealer the appliance came from.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX was very helpful ... especially at the late night hour.

shawn

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Shawn. Thank you for the opportunity, if it comes up you need to return please do, it was a pleasure to get to meet you.

Barry