Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag MFD2560HEW- refridgerator not cooling, freezer fine.

Maytag MFD2560HEW- refridgerator not cooling, freezer fine. I checked the coils, they're not solid with ice. The centre bar is not hot. Fan above coils is spinning, but not fast and no cold air coming from duct in the fridge.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today, The fan is running slowly ? how slow ?

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I see you have requested me. Can you explain to me what you saw on the coils exactly? Were there frost on the coils from top to bottom? And why do you think the fan was running slowly? Could you actually see the blade on the fan spinning?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes was frost on the fins on the coils, only on the bottom 3. Yes, I saw the blade on the fan spinning, but not really fast.

OK so it sounds like your evaporator fan motor is just failing and needs to be replaced. That fan motor is what blows air up from the freezer to the refrigerator. Without it blowing at full force, the refrigerator will not get adequate cold air to cool down. Below is a link to the new evaporator fan motor you'll need to order and replace. Your fan motor may not look the same because the older white plastic parts were re-designed and this is the new part.

CLICK HERE for evaporator fan motor

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I confirm that by running the diagnostic service test 3? It should spin fast to where I should be able to feel the air it blows coming out of the duct at the back of the fridge...right?

Not really, there is no need to confirm it. This fan motor only runs at one speed. It doesn't have multiple speeds because it's not a DC motor. If it's running but it's not running as fast as it should (you should not even be able to see the fan blades at all it should be running so fast) so the fan motor just needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, that makes sense to me, thank you. I could definitely see the fan blades. I'll order a new fan motor..Thank you.

Not a problem. Just for reference, this is the most common part that fails on this model. It's why the fan motor was re-designed, so I've replaced hundreds.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.