The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

whirlpool built in oven went dead during self cleaning, replaced

whirlpool built in oven went dead during self cleaning, replaced thermo fuse still no power
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
If you have power to the unit up to the main control board then the control board is the problem.
Check the oven light. If it comes on then the thermal fuse is ok. If no light you have a wire shorted or disconnected somewhere.
Please copy and paste the URL below to order the new control board.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-cntrl-elec-8302994-ap3851248.html
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the thermo fuse I replaced was open and there was no power at all to anything before, now I have power at the main power supply, but no display and none of the controls work, door the door lock have to be reset, I had to open the door with a coat hanger to remove the owven from the cabinet

Ok give me a couple minuets to get the wiring schematic and see what may be causing the power failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you

Looking at the schematic you can see that the control board is totally separate from the heating elements and the thermal fuse. L1 comes into the main control board to power it. If you have power to the L1 connector at the control board then the board is toast.

Please click here to download a copy of the tech sheet for your unit.

The schematic is on page 3.

The door lock should reset itself. If it doesnt then replace the control board first and the lock if it still doesnt resert.

Mike, just a personal thought here. From the issues you are having with this unit and the extent of the damage you may want to consider a new unit. This one doesnt sound like it is going to be inexpensive to repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does not sound encouraging, the unit was quite expensive

Sorry about that, Mike. It sounds like the unit was surged pretty badly. Enough to blow the thermal fuse and take out the main control board. Thats a pretty good shot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well I don't believe that there was a power surge, from what I have gathered these units seem to overheat during the self cleaning process, fairly routinely, not sure about why the control panel would quit at the same time

Something that the manufacturer will never admit on these type units is the heat from the self clean will eventually ruin the main control board, and the lock mechanism. If you are fortunate enough to have the thermal fuse do its job the control board is still weakened by the heat. When you apply power to it the surge of power hits the weakened components and its popcorn time. This is not to mention the lock mechanism. It will probably have to be replaced too.

I just dont want you to be suprised when you replace the control board and it still doesnt work, and be ready to replace more components to get it back up and running.

FYI: these issues have been addressed in the newer units. Some people have had some luck griping to the manufacturer to have them replace the components or the whole unit in some cases. This is not an easy process and can take up to a couple years to get any satisfaction from the manufacturer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well thank you for your help, looks like a $500.00 to fix this one or a $1000.00 or more for a new one , neither one is great..LOL :(

True!