Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Bosch HBL7 Double Built In Oven with convection baking.

Customer Question

I have a Bosch HBL7 Double Built In Oven with convection baking. The oven fails to heat when Convection baking is selected. After 30 minutes running CONVECTION BAKE there is no increase in heat. Also, the oven is off about 20 degrees F in other baking modes. I had a repair guy come up under my home's appliance warranty that came with the home I just bought and he said this was because I did not set FAST PREHEAT CONVECTION BAKE first. This sounds wrong. I don't have to use FAST PREHEAT BAKE when I bake and I suspect that when I switch from FAST PREHEAT CONVECTION BAKE the oven will slowly cool down (but I have not tested this). So my guess is that I have to replace the CONVECTION BAKING heating element or something like that. Question: Can I replace myself and, if so, where do I get a manual? Or (2) where can I get a repair man that will actually fix my oven?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you are exactly right, it sounds like either your convection bake element (which does heat during other modes at 10-30% as well so that could be why your oven is off by 20 degrees. If you're handy, you can probably replace the part yourself. There isn't a manual on how to replace the parts as all of Bosch's training is hands on to authorized servicers only. That being said, the model number you gave of DAH9465UC is actually for a vent hood. The oven will start with HBL7 and is located on a sticker around the frame of the oven and can be seen if you open the door.

As for replacing the part, just turn the circuit breaker off. Remove all the oven racks as well as the rack supports on the side walls if they are removable. Now just unscrew the circular glass light lenses against the back wall and remove the screws going into the back cover panel. The entire back panel will pull off and you can see a fan directly in the middle and a round element around the fan. There are just a few screws that hold the element in place. You can unswer these screws and pull the element out but make sure not to mix up which wires go to which terminals on the element or when you install the new element you can short something out.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. What is the best way to order the part? Also, the model number is XXXXX in the oven (the number I gave you was from a warranty paper that did not indicate the type of appliance - I didn't realize it was the hood). I know it is an HBL7 or HBN7 as the Care and Use Manual indicates this but I suspect I'm going to have difficulty ordering the heating element without the full model number.. Do you have any suggestions?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It appears as there is only one convection element for this partial model so I guess you're in luck that you don't need the full model. Either way, you can order the part in the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello:

I finally received the part and installed it today. Everything worked well. Convection heating works and, interestingly enough, the temperature sensing of the oven now works for bake (which was not hot enough by about 30 degrees) as well as convected bake.

So I am very happy with the service.

Thank you.

I have another problem, in this case with my KitchenAid Dishwasher. I assume I just submit another request and pay $30, which is fine, but I'd like to have you do the work on this (assuming you do KitchenAid dishwashers) .. Is there some way to accomplish this?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes of course. You can just start a question and when you start it there will be a section that asks if you'd like to select an expert you used before at which point you can select me. Also to avoid confusion, for the title just use. "This question is for appliance doc only"