Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Refrigerator Model # XXXXX and the water

I have a GE Refrigerator Model # XXXXX and the water dispenser and ice dispenser continue to run once the button is pressed. Eventually, it shuts it self off. Is there a solenoid somewhere that gets stuck. The solenoid in the front door only appears to operate the ice door. xxxxxx [email protected]

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If both your water and Ice are being affected, you either have a bad dispenser switch or the rubber paddle that you push your glass against is not popping back out so perhaps the rubber actuator itself needs to be replaced to fix the issue. Below is a link to the pad as well as the switch in case you want to replace both to be sure the issue is fixed because they are both fairly inexpensive parts. I know you said the micro switch appears to be working properly and the mechanical levers seem to work, but these are the only two parts that would affect both the ice and water.

CLICK HERE for switch

CLICK HERE for actuator pad

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening, I see the other tech has opted out. I would have probably thought the same thing at first from your symptoms so the other tech was going by the most common cause. so please don't be mad at him. He's a very good tech. Since this is happening with both the water and ice and the paddle seems to be retracting as it should theres not much else but the dispenser control board. although if the switch is shutting power off to the board it should stop dispensing. does it seem to be the same amount of time this continues on both ice and water ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

xxxxx xxxxxxx

Okay Steve, if you were to remove just the actuator pad and try this with out it does it do the same thing ? It seems like its not releasing fast enough after you pull the glass away.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have removed the actuator pad...the water and ice...depending on the lever...still run continuously when I plug the wires (right side) in. I can remove the wires to the micro switch but it still runs. I am certain the problem is not the micro switch or the actuator pad. xxxxxxx

the ice and water both keep running or just the water ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The ice keeps running when the lever is switched to ice. The water keeps running whne the lever is switched to water. When I remove the wires to the micro switch while the waer/ice is running they keep running and eventually shut off. Is is not the micro switch or the pad. xxxxx xxxxxxx

replace the dispenser board. thats all thats left that could cause that.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.