Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a model CV-10Nh s/n(NNN) NNN-NNNNportable air conditioner

Customer Question

I have a model CV-10Nh s/n(NNN) NNN-NNNNportable air conditioner that all of a sudden won't turn on. If you push the power button no lights whatso ever come on. I have checked the wall outlet and there is power there. I have pushed the rese button on the plug as it says and nothing happens. I have tried to take the back of the unit off and I have taken every screw out I can find but it won' come off. Any suggestions>
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an appliance expert here with justanswer.com and I can help you

Jon :

what make ac are you referring to here?

Customer:

It's a Sharp

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

thank you.

Jon :

have you check the other end of the power cord back to the inside of the machine?

Jon :

Is this an in the wall ac unit? or one in the window?

Customer:

That was going to be my next step but I can't get the back of the unit off to check and see if power is getting to the unit. The unit is mounted on wheels so you can roll it around

Jon :

ok. gotcha. That makes it easier that it is a portable one.

Jon :

what you want to do is look all around the edges of the back side and front for the screws to remove the back and front panels to get access to the inner parts of the machine.

Jon :

now, with the portable ones it does make it difficult because there are sooo many screws, but it makes it easier to work on.

Jon :

some of the screws are hidden and recessed into the plastic cover so you will need either a long screwdriver or drill to get it out.

Customer:

i have taken out every screw I can find. There are only six screws in the back of that unit and none in the front. thats what is frustrating me.

Jon :

I know it is frustrating and working on these machines can be less then fun.

Jon :

If all the screws are out the back and front access panels should come apart.

Jon :

have you tried taking a small thin putty knife or screw driver to the front cover area? near where the air comeout of the machine on top?

Jon :

this is where the back and front panel meet. and sometimes the plastic pieces just need to be separated.

Jon :

Just be sure not to crack or damage the plastic. so if it is still not budging with little effort then stop and look to make sure you have removed all the screws.

Jon :

I am having trouble locating the exploded view diagram for your machine. This would show me exactly where the screws are. This way we can be sure that you have removed all of them.

Jon :

I will continue trying to get the pictures.

Jon :

in the meantime, the problem is that the machine has gone completey dead? no lights, no function at all?

Customer:

No I haven;t tried that. I've benn trying to pull the back off and the vent that comes out of the unit is vertical and stiks above the case about a inch an a half so I'm preety sure the back has to be lifted straight up.

Jon :

oh. you havent removed the intake and exhuast vents from the back of the unit yet? i thought that since you were trying to get the back panel off you had removed the vents? if not, they should just twist off. turn the vent hoses either clockwise or counter clockwise and pull the vent hoses off. without them off the panel will not come off.

Jon :

if you follow the plug from the wall to the machine, does it go to the bottom back of the machine, or to the side?

Customer:

No I've done that. The vent hose is off. The power cord goes into the back at he bottom over to the left hand side as you are looking at the back of the unit.

Jon :

ok. just wanted to be sure.

Jon :

i have located the user manual for your machine. I have worked on this model several times. and i know for sure that there are screws on the sides of the machine as well as some that are recessed into the back of the machine that need to be removed before you can pull the back and front panel off.

Customer:

I am going to another room to look. I will be right back

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

also be sure that you have removed the drain plug. sometimes the drain plug left in the machine on back is enough to keep the back on.

Jon :

i am going to look through the manual to see if there are any other screws we are missing. but i dont think there is.

Jon :

I know this may seem silly, but on your model ac, if the water tank inside the machine is full the machine will not turn on.

Jon :

so check to make sure that is empty

Jon :

but if this machine is completely dead, no lights nothing, then you either blow the fuse on the control board and the board needs to be replaced because of that. or the power cord is bad.

Jon :

and we can check either one of those until you get access inside the machine.

Jon :

let me know where you are at with checking for the screws on the back and sides of the machine. how are we doing?

Customer:

I have just looked all over that machine and the only screwws I can find are recessed in the back. I have taken the drain plug out and that is not holding it. The front cover is supprted be plastic spacers and is about a half inch and I can just see behind it. Is it possible that this just snaps in place without scews.

Jon :

yes. the front top is just snapped in. That is why I mentioned taking a putty knife to it. But it will still not come appart until all the screws are off.

Jon :

go ahead and try to unsnap the front and maybe that will give you a better look at the panels. but again, if the plastic is giving you too much trouble dont force it. you dont want to break it.

Jon :

is this machine completely dead? no lights at all? and are you trying with the remote or by pressing the control on the machine?

Jon :

Again, if this machine is completely dead and you have tried not just the remote but the control panel as well, and still nothing, no lights or function at all, we know it is either one of two things. The main control board or power cord. And again, to know for sure what is the problem we will need to get access to the other end of the plug that goes into the machine and to the control board. You will then with a meter need to check the power cord for continuity and then the control board while it is plugged in for full voltage.

Jon :

we will then know for sure if the control board or power cord is the problem.

Jon :

but if you cant get the machine appart, you will not know what is wrong.

Jon :

and I am sorry i cant give you more specific instructions and help to remove the back and front panels. I wish i was there with you to show you.

Jon :

I give you the option of ordering both parts for this machine and when you have the machine apart, you can install the cheaper power cord first. Then check the machine to see if that fixes the problem. and if it does, then return the control board. That will be the cheapest way to fix this machine.

Jon :

But if after installing the cord it still doesnt work then install the board and try again. and you might still be able to able to return the cord to get your money back.

Jon :

If you are interested in going this route let me know and I will tell you where to get the parts from.

Jon :

And if you feel satisfied with my help please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better rating. and if you need more help please come back here again and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Customer:

did you recieve my last response that I have looked all over ths machine and can only find the recessedscrews in the back.

Jon :

yes. I have.

Jon :

have you recieved my reposnses back to you?

Customer:

Are you recieving my responses

Jon :

es. are you receiving mine?

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Alex,

It looks like the live chat feature is not working correctly so I have switched to question and answer format. You can still respond back to me in the same way before. And I will see that you have responded and respond back to me.

You will also be able to see all the other responses above.

Please read what I had written and respond back to me.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Alex,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Do you want me to get the info for parts so you can order them?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Alex,

Please call this number below to order the parts for your ac when you are ready to fix it. They will send the parts out to you and when you receive them get back to me here if you need more installing them and I will help you more.

Call this number and have your model serial number ready for them. And just tell them you would like either or both the main control board and power cord. They will send it out to you.

1-877-821-4170

and if you would like to go on line to order the parts you can go to http://applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com/

Please get back to me here at any time if you have more questions or have any trouble with this machine and I will help you more.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help. I was finally able to find two hidden screws holding the front panel on and unsnapped the front cover and every thing else came off with ease. I checked tha power cord and power is getting to the unit so the cord is good. I found a 3 amp fuse on the circuit board and checked it with a continuity meter and it is good. What next?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Alex,

That's great. I knew you would find the hidden screws. I know sometimes it is a pain in the neck trying to find them.

Now if the cord and fuse are both good. And you are sure you checked correctly, which it sounds like you did, and there is full power getting to the main board and still you get nothing, then you need a new main control board.

We know the cord is good if you have continuity through the cord and that the fuse is good as well. Now I there is power getting to the board then you have just checked all the components leading up to the board. Which means if the control still doesn't light up at all and doesn't operate either then you need to replace the board.

If your machine is older then 5 years old it may not be worth it for you to replace the board. It might make more sense to just replace the machine. They make them so cheap now sometimes it's worth it and makes more economical sense to replace the machine. You can check the price of the main board and make that decision.

You can find the parts info at www.applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com or by calling them directly at 1-877-821-4170. Sometimes it's quicker to call. If calling make sure you have the model and serial number handy and tell the parts rep you need the main control board a d they will give you the info.

If you have any other questions please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again. And please let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Again thanks for your help. I'll call and get some prices and go from there.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome for the help. That is what I am here for.

And if you ever need more help with this machine please come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

And if you have any other appliance questions that you need answered please come back to my profile directly by clicking the link below. This will bring you directly to me. Just ask your question in the box under my profile picture and I will answer you quickly and to the best of my knowledge. And if I can't answer it, I will send it to the main question list so someone else can answer. You save a lot of time by coming to me directly. You ll not have to wait or list it in the main page and wait for an expert to log in and look over your question and decide if they want to answer.

Here is the link.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-jon-grella/

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will keep your name, thanks for that info. Just for an update, I called that number the gave me and they don't handle sharp parts so the transfered me to sharp directly and going thru their phone answreing system finally got to somebody that gave me the phone no. of the local dealer. called them and they said their manuals don't show that so they called sharp and finnally found that it would be a special order item at a cost of $180.00. So now I will make a decision. Again, thanks

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you for the info. I didn't know they couldn't get parts for sharp. Sorry to make you go through the trouble of calling so many places.

If the part is over $180 that sounds a little pricey for a board. Get the part number and get back to me. I'll see if I can get it cheaper from one of my part distributors or warehouses.

If I can't get it cheaper for you I might just get a new one. I know there are not that expensive right now. You can find one on sale. And if this machine is older the. Five years I would definitely replace it.

Just get back to me with the part number of the board and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. I haven't done anything yet with the air conditioner. I will try and find the part no. and get back to you. But I did have another idea. I bought this air conditioner for my 40'x15' florida room which
does not have a duct from the central air. We only use this room a couple of hours a day or sometimes more if we have a family function. I don't need the temperature control and other features that circuit board supplies. Is there a way to bypass that board and simply have an off on switch which is basically how I controled it before it quit?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Alex,

Hello again. How are you. Please don't feel bad about not getting the time to check the machine until recently. I know we all can get caught up and busy in other projects. No worries.

As far as for jumping out or bypassing the thermostat in control to only turn the machine on and off as you want to use your sun room, I am afraid that is not an option with this machine. If you were to jump out the control not only would it not work correctly, after a while the compressor would over heat and fail as well. And that you don't want.

So I am afraid you will have to use it as it as you were before. Just turn it on, set it to the temp you desire, and the machine will turn off when the desired temp is reached. And will come back on when it gets too hot again.

If you have any other questions I will be happy to help.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The final out come of all of this is I bought a new window unit air conditioner and heat pump so now I can have air in the summer and heat in the winter. I am glad I found you tho and I will keep you on file so I know who to call when I need help. Thanks again.

alex Toth