Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

i need diagnosis for cooling problem with a gallery model with

Customer Question

i need diagnosis for cooling problem with a gallery model with a french door bottom freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an authorized Electrolux and Frigidaire service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

I apologize for the delay in receiving a response. I have just logged on for the day and am just now seeing your question has not been answered.

Jon :

Please realize that it can take some time to get the right expert to answer your question.

Jon :

from your description it sounds like the ref is having a defrost issue, is that correct?

Jon :

I know you have said that behind the ice maker there is a build up of ice and that it is dripping towrads the front of the bucket, but have you checked the evaporator behind the back inside wall of the freezer for ice build up?

Jon :

If so, what have you found?

Jon :

and finally, have you checked to make sure that the door chute to the dispenser has not been left open?

Jon :

sometimes, if that door chute that allows the ice to come out the door is stuck open just slightly it will allow warm air from outside the ref come into the dispenser and ice bucket area and defrost the machine. and the ref will over compensate for the warmer temps by making the ref run constantly. In efforts to keep the ref cool it will continually run. which in turn causes the ice build up in back. and if that ice build up is left unattended to it will prevent cool air from getting to the ref cabinet and give you the warmer temps.

Jon :

so please look and tell me if that is happening and get back to me here and I will help you more.

Jon :

thanks

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

I have switched the chat format from live chat to question and answer. There have been some issues with the live chat feature today. Please respond back to me here in the same way that you would have in live chat and I will see that you have logged back in and given me a response. And I in turn will respond back to you.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon and helping you fix this machine in the quickest and cheapest way possible.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this reply is to jon per question dated may 11th: sorry about having to play "answer tag" with this problem. the cooling coils in the back bottom the freezer are frozen over. i already replaced the inverter board but did it without defrosting ; will defrosting the fridge "hit the reset button" and make the inverter and the fridge operate the way it should? or how do i proceed?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello again

No worries about "answer tag" and not being able to get back to me for a while. I understand we all can get busy.

To answer your question, yes. You would have definitely needed to defrost the evaporator coils that were frozen over either before or immediately after replacing the board. If you hadn't the evaporator since so frozen over will choke off all the cool air flow to the ref cabinet and cause it to warm up.

So I advise unplugging the machine as soon as possible. Removing the food from the freezer and removing the screws to the back evaporator cover from inside the freezer section. This will expose the evaporator coils so you can defrost them yourself with a hair dryer. Just fan the hair dryer back and forth a out six inches away from ice. It should take about 30 mins for it to completely defrost. Also put some towels down on the inside of the freezer floor to catch and soak up the water that will come from defrosting the ice.

After the ice is defrosted close everything back up and plug the machine in again and set freezer for about 0 degrees and ref to about 37 degrees. Let it run and you should be ok.

Now if you don't want to go through that much trouble just to defrost the evaporator coils I would suggest removing all perishable food and putting it in another ref if you have it or coolers and unplug the machine for 3 days. This will totally defrost the evap and the inner water lines. But realize you will not have use of you ref for three days.

So if you can't go without your ref for that time period or don't have alternative means to cool your food do option one.

If the evap coils are not properly defrosted your problem will never totally be solved. As you are finding out.

If you has any other questions please get back to me here and I will explain further and help you more.

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better. And if you have more questions after positively rating me please feel free to come back here to me at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks. And please let me know how you do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
jon: i defrosted the fridge thoroughly and dried it completely. i restarted the fridge and the temps are coming down. right now, the display is showing 28 deg for the freezer and 42 deg for the the fridge temp. however, the thermometer ( we have a manual one inside the fridge) is reading 55 degrees: why the discrepancy? will things eventually stabilize and the readings come into agreement? that was a problem before: the fridge was reading 33 deg but the manual thermometer inside was reading 41 degrees. (yes, the thermometer is accurate). any thoughts?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
How did you defrost the ref? And how do you know the thermometer is good. How did you accurately gauge the temp?

set the ref as follows and let it be for about 3 days to let the temps equalize.

Set the ref temp for 37 degrees and freezer for 0 degrees. Those are the recommended settings. If your model machine doesn't have a digital display that will tell you the temps then set the thermostat at about midpoint.

As far as for the difference in temp, I can tell you that there are external and internal factors that will give you a discrepancy in temp. Some of those factors can definitely change the ref and freezer temp displayed on your thermometer by anywhere from +-5-10 degrees.

So make sure the thermometer is good and set the thermometer on the middle shelf on the middle of the shelf. This will give you the most accurate reading of how cold the ref is. If the thermometer is set in the upper portion or the top shelf of the ref it should read a warmer temp. Since cold air rises this will prove my point. And if you are setting the thermometer on the lowest shelf you will get a colder reading.
So keep it on the middle shelf and let the machine run for three days. And be sure the door gaskets are not cracked or broken in any way. Because that could let warm air into the ref also giving you slightly warmer temps.

If after 3 days the temps dont equalize then we will start to check air flow a little better and other factors that could affect the temp.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more. And please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better. And please remember that if you have more questions after rating me positively you can still come back here at any time to ask me any questions that you may have and I will answer them for you at no additional charge.

Please let me know how you make out with this.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jon: thanks for a thorough explanation of temps and stabilization. i wanted to rate your advice (and reward it) but it says "rate to finish" and i was hesitant to lose/break off, the troubleshooting/problem-solving process that was begun: (please advise me on this). to resume with fridge problem; i have double-checked the fridge temp by a three-way gauge comparison: there is only a 2 degree difference. right now, fridge is reading 45 degrees (with the temp setting at 37), which means the real/actual fridge temp is 43 deg; will "let it ride" for two more days, as you suggested to see where things stand. thanks!
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome for the help and thorough explanations.

As fas for positively rating me, I assure you that after you rate me it will not end or close the chat or contact with me. You can always get back in touch with me here at this chat at anytime. I know that the wording the website uses sometimes is very confusing. But please know you can come back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns or just to let me know what has happened with the ref and I will help you more for no additional charge.

If the ref temp is off by about 5-7 degrees that is not too bad. Let it run for the next two days and monitor the temps. If it starts to get closer to the actual set temp then you are good. But if it either doesn't get closer or even gets warmer then please let me know and I will walk you through some other checks.

Thanks again. Talk to you soon.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.
And please get back to me and let me know how the temps have settled in your machine.

Thanks again. Have a good holiday weekend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi jon, i submitted an additional question about the ice maker on this same refrigerator. it appears that i may have not submitted it, or just thought i did. this other issue is, that the ice maker is creating ice, but there is also a slow drip coming out at the dispenser. my question was, is this a common problem with this type of refrigerator? and what could be the root cause? a defective part, or just something that needs some sort of attention like cleaning ? (this problem existed before i changed the power inverter board) thanks for any guidance concerning this problem.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.

You did ask another question about this ref. and it was about the dripping from the dispenser. You had asked it a few days ago. And I answered it.

Here is the link to the question and answer. Please read it over and get back to me in the other question format. Actually answer me back using the link provided.

http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/7s33m-jon-fridge-temps-close-normal-now-thanks.html?mode=qa

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

jon - jim here again about the dripping ice maker on the gallery model fridge. i went to the "lengthy http address link" that you mentioned for your reply, but did not find any there. it said it was a "live chat" format, but it would not allow me to type anything for correspondence. what is going on at this site?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jim.

If you use my profile link you will need to ask you question in the box below my profile picture. It will take the question directly to me after it is submitted. And yes, it will be in live chat after that.

Sorry for any confusion the site has caused. I know it can be quite confusing at times. It is something the website is working on fixing in the near future.

Please get back to me either here or at my profile page and I will help you more.

Hope you had a good Memorial Day.