Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag epic z washer was doing f21 error code. For a couple

Maytag epic z washer was doing f21 error code. For a couple weeks. I have opened the panel and cleaned the drain plug and filter which was FULL. When I select everything and press start it locks the door with out the locked door light has add garment lit and hums

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 32 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs under my belt.

So it lock the door and nothing else?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I can select everything it locks the door but still says add garment and it hums and sounds like the propeler is spinning near the filter

so not even water comes into the unit ?

Is the water turned on ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No no water comes in but the water is on
You said it humms is the hum from the drain pump or is it from the water valves?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Drain pump right next to the drain plug
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that is where the sound is and it gets warm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Still haven't got an answer just asked quesrions

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem

Good evening, would the noise be comming from this ? graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, that is actually the pump motor, there are two possibility's here. 1 theres still something inside the pump area stopping the pump impeller like a toothpick or something, or the motor on the pump has failed. this can happen if the pump trap is really clogged like you said and it ran for a long time trying to drain and burned the motor up. Now what I would do is remove the whole pump assembly and take a good look inside to see if there's something stuck in the impeller. If you find nothing in the pump itself not just the trap part but the pump part then you need to replace the pump and motor which is one piece. Here is a link where you can order it if you need one. hopefully you just find something stuck in the pump because this pump assembly is $122.00, I'll bet you do find something in the pump stopping it. I hope this helps thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if I disconnect the power to pump then try to start the washer then the drum spins the clothes once and shuts off which it wouldn't do before. When the power is connected to the pump the impeller turns.
are you watching the impeller through the trap area ? okay how fast or strong does the impeller turn? is it pumping water out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I can see it turning through the trap hole it isn't pumping anything out and I can put my finger in (tried q tip first) is turning the same sort of speed a pump in a fish tank filter would turn
okay I see.,well according to the tech sheets the F21 is long drain, from what you're saying it sounds like the pump is weak and not spinning fast enough. These pumps really spin fast I mean really fast so with water through it probably slows down even more trying to push the water and if the motor felt hot like you said it did that tells me that this pump is going and needs to be replaced. . You can try hooking everything back up and seeing if this will put some water in then hit cancel drain and see if it will drain. You should be a look tell if the water is being pushed out by just lifting the drain hose out of the drain pipe a little bit or even better if you have a large 5 gallon bucket put it up high at least as high as with the drain is and run the machine in a drain cycle to see if the water is coming out. It really sounds to me like your pump is real weak it may still spin but it probably doesn't have the power to push the water out. Can you try that and let me know? Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So a gush of water like a mouthful comes out the drain hose and thats all then when I stop it and open the trap the water all comes out there. Defiantly need a new motor
yes for sure. Its not strong enough to pump the water out. well at least you know. thanks and have a great night, Bryan