Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

G.E. DRYER MODEL DLB2650BBL WH . MY WIRING FROM THE MOTOR TO

Customer Question

G.E. DRYER MODEL DLB2650BBL WH . MY WIRING FROM THE MOTOR TO THE MOTOR SWITCH WERE INTERVERTINLY DISCONNECTED. I HAVE NO WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM TO FOLLOW FOR REWIRING. THE MOTOR WIRING IS COLOR CODED HOWEVER, THE STARTER SWITCH TERMINALS ARE NUMERIAC ONLY. CAN YOU PROVIDE ANY GUIDELINES (SCHEMATIC) TO HELP ME RECONNECT THE WIRING?.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Is this your motor ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you receive my reply regarding my motor I. D.?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
no I'm sorry , I received only the model number . can you resend that info ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MY MOTOR ALSO HAS ORANGE, BLACK AND BLUE WIRES ALSO INCLUDE GREEN GROUND WIRE, MY MOTOR # XXXXX : 5KH47 AT 438.
CODE R.

1/4 HP, 115V, 4.8 AMP 1725 RPM 40c AMB

PC 8193A IF ANY OTHER INFORMATION AVAILABLE WAS PAINTED OVER.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay so does your motor look like that one ? this is the same motor so is it the orange ,black,and blue wires that come form the motor windings that you need to put back on ? this motor should have a plug for the rest comming from the dryer is that right ? this may have a different part number but its the same motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O.K. MOTOR AND MOTOR WIRES SEEM TO BE SAME. THE 4 WIRES COMING FROM THE DRYER ARE : BLACK, PINK, BROWN, YELLOW / BLACK STRIPES. ALL WIRES FROM MOTOR AND DRYER ARE CONNECTED TO THE MOTOR STARTER SWITCH G.E.# XXXXX , 12 PRONG

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I see it took me a few minutes to understand because they changed the motors. I think you have this motor starter on yours correct ? and you need to know where the ones from the dryer connect ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WILL CHECK NOW, GET BACK TO YOU LATER TODAY OR 5/11/13

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay . your colors are mostly the same these older dryers are hard to find diagrams on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THIS SEEMS TO BE EXACTLY WHAT I NEED BUT, I'M STILL CONFUSED AS TO WHICH # XXXXX RECEIVES WHICH COLOR.
THERE ARE 2 ROWS OF NUMBERED TERMANIALS, BOTH #3'S ARE N/A. NOW I HAVE 2 EACH OF #1- #2- #4- #5- #6. EXAMPLE : DOSE IT MATTER WHICH TERNINIAL # XXXXX RECEIVES COLOR PURPLE?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
no it doesn't. a side view shows that the terminals and one piece anyway. you see their connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I THINK YOU GOT ME ON THE RIGHT TRACK TO PUTTING THIS THING BACK TOGETHER. I MAY RUN INTO SOME QUESTIONS DOING SO BUT, I NEED TO TRY FIRST.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE YOU'VE BEEN A REAL HELP FOR THIS NOVICE

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome, these machines over the years have had three different motors, the info i gave you is all thats left of all the old service manuals. I'm doing my best but thats about all the info I can find on a unit so old. good luck ans best wishes, I will be around and you can come back anytime. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NEED ADDITIONAL INFO/ANSWERS TO COMPLETE MY PROJECT.
THE WIRING COLOR CODES ARE AS CLOSELY IDENTIFIED AS POSSIBLE :

MOTOR : GREEN (GRND), ORANGE, BLACK, BLUE.

HARNESSED DRYER WIRING: BROWN, PINK, ORANGISH W/ BLACK STRIPE, BLACK, BLUE.

THE MOTOR STARTER SWITCH HAS 1-6 TERMINALS (EXCLUDING #3) . AGAIN, HOW DOES THE COLOR CODES CO-ORDINATELY MATCH THE NUMERICAL MOTOR SWITCH TERMINALS?.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I will need to go to some of the wiring diagrams again, can you wipe the wires off good and check the colors ? some don't match. need to see if they have faded or discolored.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I feel certain I captured the colors as I see them however, your absolutly right; the color codes don't make sence and age may have influenced the color. We have a yellow or orangish with a black stripe, I see no purple but there is a blue in my description. I thought maybe some of the odd colors like orange and orange w/ stripe are the same connection?. I believe the same colors i.e. black to black, brown to brown are o.k. or perhaps the black and blue can be connected to the same switch terminals.

If you cannot get any positive I.D.'s I may have to scrap this project rather than make a costly mistake.

Thanks again for the special effort.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
give me a few more minutes,.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay going over the diagrams what I have is black # X blue # X brown # X now the fun begins, it shows a yellow/black stripe to # X this could be the orange with black ? and theres a violet that goes to # X is it possible the violet is the pink one ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm encouraged you found a black stripe code. My wire could be easly taken for yellow or orange w/ black stripe and the process of elimination says violet is likely to be my pink wire. anyway,this is what I'm going with.
I'll give it a try and get the results back to you for you own edification.
Thanks one more time, you really whent beyond the call.

Paul
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I certainly hope that works. this machine is so old I really had to dig to find anything. if it trips the breaker we know its wrong. good luck.