Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Admiral Designer Series range m/n DF456577. Hot Surface light

Customer Question

Admiral Designer Series range m/n DF456577. Hot Surface light stays on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you tell me which burner the light says is staying on ? front,back,left,right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The burners are fine and working normally.

It's the Hot Surface warning light located on the glass top at the back in the center. It's been on since yesterday. Last time this happened it took down half the power in my house. I unplugged it for a few hours then plugged it back in and the light went off. That was about a year ago.

The serial number is XXXXX if that helps.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay good, I realize the burner is still working but running down the center of each burner is a tube. its a sensor and tell when the burner is still hot. unfortunately this has failed but you cant just buy the sensor you have to replace the burner. Now this on the diagrams doesn't say what size burner or the burner number so you would need to call for the part. Any appliance warehouse can get you that info. or you can call 1-800-540-0800 and they can help you. graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, that makes sense. Are those thermostats? How can I test to see which one is malfunctioning? Can I check them with a voltmeter?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well are your hot surface lights separate from one another or is it just one light ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just the one light.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you can test these at the burner switches.

Remove the wire from the P connector of the control and then measure from La to P. With the control set to off it should be infinite ohms (open). This will be a live test so your need to be very careful while testing. Please let me know if there is anything you need. I hope you under stand that. you do it at the burner switches. please unplug the range before testing. you will need to test each one until you find the bad one.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found the culprit. The right rear burner needs replaced. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

awesome ! great job ! have a great night. thanks, Bryan