Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My wife was cooking a piece of chicken and an egg in the microwave.

My wife was cooking a piece of chicken and an egg in the microwave. the chicken exploded and blew the door open. it shuts fine and there seems to be no problem with the microwave. but when you start it it has a rattle sound. i'm thinking its a bad motor. I would venture to say it was from the moisture in the chicken but i'm not sure.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Hmm, it's really hard to know where the noise is coming from or what it sounds like without being there, but if you remove the glass tray, does that change the noise any? And can you try to describe the noise?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just tried removing the plate and it did not go away. It sounds like a rub like maybe the motor is rubbing something.

Can I get the full model number located on a sticker inside the microwave and can be seen if you open the door?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

JVM1660AB 004

OK so I'm thinking maybe the stirrer motor blade may have been damaged whith the explosion. The stirrer motor is mounted above the microwave but there is a fan blade above the plastic round cover connected to the ceiling inside this microwave. Below is a link to the cover I'm talking about.

CLICK HERE

There is a plastic pin going through a hole that you need to remove, and then you can turn the cover counter clock-wise and remove it. Make sure the fan blade isn't bent or remove the blade entirely if you can and then see if the noise goes away. If not, I'm not sure what else could be affected by the explosion inside and without being there to hear the noise, you may need to call a technician out on-site to listen.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok i appreciate the information it does sound like its coming from the top but its hard to pinpoint. Do you know what could have caused this?

Usually the egg causes the explosion, not the chicken. Eggs and Potatos are known very well to cause explosions inside microwave. But it's just gas that builds up inside of food and sometimes it builds up enough pressure to explode the food.