Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi I have a Maytag Mod#MFF2258VEMO French Door Refridgerator

Hi I have a Maytag Mod#MFF2258VEMO French Door Refridgerator and it started leaking water a while back. We do not have the ice maker hooked up and never have. Then the Fridge part quit cooling altogether though the freezer continues to work. We unplugged it and let it sit for over 24hrs but there has been no change. I was wondering what we can do? I appreciate you help, Thank-you.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is there water or ice on the freezer floor ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it is clean

okay where do you see the water ? front , back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It comes out from under the fridge in the front.

okay without the water hooked up to the refrigerator it cant be the ice maker and the only thing left is the defrost drain or the pan underneath is full and overflowing , but thats not the worse thing to worry about at this point. can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and go in the back take the panel off that covers the compressor area at the bottom and feel the compressor, is it hot, cold, or warm? Is it vibrating like it's running? We need to find out why this is not cooling correctly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fan is running the compressor is warm to the touch but it is not vibrating

Ah Okay, That kinda explains both issue's actually, When the compressor stops the freezer will start to defrost behind the panel. when theres to mush water it will leak out onto the floor so problem one is caused by that. Now these Maytag refrigerators are prone to compressor start relay problems. Can you hear any clicking or buzzing coming from the compressor about every 2 to 3 min. and then stops?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is vibrating a bit now but no clicking or buzzing. I don't recall it making that sound lately when it kicks in to run either.

Okay so it is vibrating now like it's running? It gets a little tougher from here because we need to see what's going on with the evaporator coils in the freezer section. This being a French door it's a real pain in the neck, you would need to remove the panel inside the freezer behind the food and take a look at the evaporator coils. Now is the fan in the freezer running also? Just open the drawer and you should hear it running.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fan is running and there is a lot of frost on the back panel of the freezer. I think I'm going to need a hand from my husband to remove the back panel. It may take some time to get this done as he is not home yet. (Not sure how this works?)

I am so sorry, the site went down and I had already written out a very long answer for you. At any rate what you need to do is remove that back panel inside the freezer and take a hairdryer and defrost the entire coils system, once that is done you can put the back panel in again and this will run correctly for about 2 to 3 weeks, you see all your cold air comes from the freezer and when it is frozen up like that the air can't circulate to the top refrigerator section. In most cases it is either the defrost thermostat on the coils you are defrosting or it is the control board, I'm not sure if your husband has a voltmeter and knows how to check continuity but if he does he can check the thermostat in the freezer and if it is good the control board will need to be replaced. If you don't think you can do this then at least defrost all that Frost behind the panel and put it back together in it will run until you can get a technician out to look at it. I hope this helps and sorry for the delay, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
I'm sorry we had some site issues,I hope you received my answer. Please don't forget to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you, thanks, Bryan