Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hey Appliance Doc, a small apartment gas range is not lighting.

Hey Appliance Doc, a small apartment gas range is not lighting. I think this is kind of a dinosaur. It is a small Brown (company) unit that doesn't light on any of the burners, although you can hear a hiss.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you light any of the cooktop burners with a match?

Are any of the cooktop burners or oven functioning at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't have a match (guess I will from now on) but with all the hissing and smell, I assumed that would be no problem. The manager said that a woman who wanted to rent the apartment said that the two front burners worked (but she didn't want to use a match), so I'm assuming that she just did that, lit them with a match. What is low BTU flash ignition? What lights the gas?

So the issue is that this is a pilot light system, that's another name for a low BTU flash ignition. It sounds like you just need to light your pilot lights, but you'll need a lighter or match to light them. Lift the top panel up and there should be a pilot light between the right 2 burners in the middle that you light as well as a pilot light between the left two burners. As for the oven, you need to remove the lower drawer below the oven and light the pilot light way in the back below the oven.