Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool washing machine heavy duty super capacity

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool washing machine heavy duty super capacity plus circa 1996. Just today when I went to start a load/ water running, the agitator starts instead. The previous load was interrupted due to a leak. After leak was repaired I let the machine cycle & finish draining without the load in it. Now when I set it to the start position & pull the knob, the agitator starts instead of filling with water. is there a reset button?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There is not a reset unfortunately, but there is only 1 part that can cause this problem and that's your pressure switch. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for part

You'll want to open the control panel and locate the pressure switch. It will have a small rubber hose connected to the part. Disconnect the rubber hose from the pressure switch and blow through it to make sure it's clear. Try the washer again. If it still won't fill with water, you need to order and replace the pressure switch.

To get inside the control panel, look in the lower front right and front left corner of the control panel. Remove these 2 screws and the control panel will actuall pull forward and up and then rotate and flip backwards to access everything inside the control panel.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you I'm going to go try this & be right back....

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah! It's working! Thank you! XXXXX know how to fix that problem too!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Awesome, I'm glad it's up and running again. You have a great rest of the day!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay rats! Now it's overfilling & flooding the floor. it did this last night & I checked all the intake & outtake valves & they were all tight and dry. The water is now overfilling the top of the drum & leaking out of the machine! Any suggestions?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Make sure that the other end of the hose is connected to the outer tub. If you still have problems, then possibly that plastic box on the side of the outer plastic tub is clogged and it doesn't come off so you can try to clean it out with a wire or something, but likely you'll need a new outer plastic tub.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The outer plastic tub is inside the metal machine casing (almond color for example) but outside of the grey freckled metal tub with the multiple holes in it? If the plastic box on the side of the outer plastic tub IS clogged is that then NOT telling the water to stop filling? is that it's function? Thanks!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you remove the entire outer shell of the washer, the box is part of the outer plastic tub---it's all one assembly but the hose connects to the box. The fuction of the box is just there to try to prevent debris from coming in from the tub but allow water to enter so that air pressure can build up inside the hose which is what triggers the pressure switch inside the control panel to tell the washer when the tub is full of water and when it needs more water.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I'm going to try to take this shell off...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I went to see what it was doing ( I had started a load to test it & it did fill with water, then overflowed). It went through the wash cycle, drained and now it's just agitating on the rinse cycle with no water in the machine. I think I need to call my local appliance place it's over my head. But thank you anyway...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, but it sounds like either your pressure switch is just bad or more likely the box is clogged with something. Either way, I do wish you only the best.