Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My dryer has power, belt is ok, buzzer rings when I turn dial

My dryer has power, belt is ok, buzzer rings when I turn dial to cycles but when I push buttons to start - nothing happens. Do you think it is the door switch?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, when you push the start button you hear nothing at all ? not even a hum like it wants to start ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No when I push the buttons I hear nothing, but when I turn the dial for the different cycles it makes the buzzer go off but drum does not move

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay this is quite old I see. Do you have a volt meter ? (multimeter)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I don't have a meter.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay , The thing with these dryers is you have to make sure your getting 220 volts to it. If your only getting 110 volts to one side of the power you will still hear the timer buzzer but it wont start so we need to start there. do you have breakers or fuses in your home ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have breakers

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, so the only way to really check this without a volt meter is to bypass a few things testing them as we go. . Would you be able to do that ? it may be the high limit thermostat or the door switch like you said but we would need to bypass these and try starting it .it will require taking the top off the dryer and removing the wires (make sure its unplugged between each test) and put the wires together to bypass the part. do you think you can do it that way? or would you rather get a volt meter and test them that way ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can try to get a meter, but I am at work now. If you tell me what to do I can try it tonight, and let you know how I make out.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay well if you can get a meter and get back to me later I'm sure we can find out whats going on and get this running. just come back later. what time do you think you will be back ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

probably around 4:30-5pm is that ok?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats great no problem. talk then . thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX nice day. Talk to you tonight

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
You too . Thanks , no need to reply until you get home. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Monring, Could not get hands on a meter... talked to person I got dryer from and she had for 17 years (hardly used likes to hang clothes out) I had for 7 years. So I am assuming it is time to put out to pasture.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay thats up to you of course, I was looking at your parts and a lot of the parts are no longer available so if you had fixed this now if something else breaks in it you may not be able to fix it again ,this is an old dryer and has probably seen better days. I wish you the best , thanks and have a great day ! Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.