Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

Our washing machine is leaving brown streaks on our clothes.

Our washing machine is leaving brown streaks on our clothes. What is this from?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Are you seeing these brown streaks before they go into the dryer or after they have been in the dryer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am pretty sure I am seeing them before the go into the dryer.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
But you are not positive of that? Brown streaks are usually caused by the dryer itself as the clothes gets pinched between the rollers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I'm almost positive it is from the washer. I recently bought a pair of light colored pants. When I took them from the washer, they were covered with these streaks. I scrubbed and scrubbed them, got most of the streaks out and put them in the washer again; and they had more streaks.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I am not saying it isn't the washer, just need to make sure... I would recommend that you run a bottle of WASHER MAGIC in the machine, this will clean all the gunk that you cannot get to between the inner and outer tub. you can click on the blue link below to go to the website to find where you can get it locally...

Click_here

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chas,

I'm sorry, but I forgot to write that I have already used a bottle of washer magic. Before I used it, I cleaned off the rubber seal in the door opening (the little lip) which I have done routinely in the past. After I ran the washer magic, when I still had streaks, I felt around the seal and found globs of this disgusting brownish gunk (which did not smell bad by the way) between the drum of the washer and the rubber - between metal and rubber - if I put my finger in that place and tried to get the gunk out, I could pinch my finger if the drum turned. I couldn't tell if it was just build up or grease.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Your clothes could be getting pinched between the tub, however the brown gunk you are still finding is not oil from the machine, there is no oil in it, Fabric softners have oils in them, you may need to run more than one treatment of wash magic to get all this gunk out as it is most likely several years of buil up causing it, If it was getting pinched between the inner and outer tub, usually the clothes get torn instead of streaks like you explain...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll try more of the wash magic. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I do have two more questions related to this. One is

Our washer also spins out VERY VERY loudly. It sounds like a jet engine taking off. (-:

Also, if this is the dryer leaving streaks, what would we do for that? I really need to get this taken care of, since at this point I don't even dare do any more laundry for fear that I'll ruin more of my clothes.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
OMG that is not good, that was going to be my next question to you.... You have a bearing going out on the back of the inner tub, you are talking about a $500 repair in parts alone to fix it.....If that bearing breaks it can crack the outer tub and cause a major flood, depending where this is at it can cause a lot of property damage...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, if the washer is 12 years old, is it worth fixing or having someone out. Because it's a Kenmore, I can only get it fixed at Sears which means they charge a million dollars just to come out anyhow.....

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
It is not worth repairing, SEARS will charge About $180 in labor plus the parts.. the parts alone do not make it worth repairing it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, that makes me thankful I didn't call anyone sooner. But now we still have the streak problem. If that's the dryer, what cost would that be?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Is it the matching Kenmore dryer for the set?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Cost for repairing that dryer if you do all the work yourself is about $60 for all the parts needed...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks so much for your help.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech