Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I ordered a Bosch glass top electric cooktop Bosch NET5054UC

I ordered a Bosch glass top electric cooktop Bosch NET5054UC 500 30" Stainless Steel Electric Smoothtop Cooktop and my electrician says it will be to expensive to install and use.
Watts (W) 7,700 W
Current (A) 32 A
Volts (V) 240/208 V
Frequency (Hz) 60 Hz
Plug type No plug
Energy source Electric
I have found this information very hard to find on all the appliances. Is this unit unusual or do all electric cook tops run on this much power
I have a two burner induction cooktop that llI love BUT I am building a new house and want both types of cook tops built in as there are a few things I don't think the induction does well and I will have lots of space for both.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

These numbers are very standard if not lower than most electric cooktop models. Induction doesn't actually create heat, is energizes magnets so the watts will be significantly less than a glass electric cooktop. That being said, your electrician is somewhat correct in that 90% of the energy on an induction cooktop is used in heating while only 60% on an electric cooktop. Gas cooktops are the worst as far as energy conservastion at 40%.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not asking about the induction cooktop - I need to know about the wattage useage of the Bosch unit 500 seri3es.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I understand that. What your electrician told you is 100% correct. If all the burners are turned on at once,

Watts (W) 7,700 W
Current (A) 32 A
Volts (V) 240/208 V
Frequency (Hz) 60 Hz

If you want individual burner wattages:

(2) 7" 1800 W; (1) 400 W; (1) 6"/9" 1300/3100 W; (1) 6" 1200 W

Also, you asked how it compares to other cooktops, and it's right about average for the upper end electric glass cooktops. If you wanted one that consumed less power, you'd want one that doesn't have a bridge element between the left two burners. That's why it uses more power that the lower end ones.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - will it really require #3 wire?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what #3 wire is but that might be because we're in the US and you're in Belize so that might be a different measurement, but you need 8 Gauge copper wire to support up to 40 amps.