Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an older wall mounted compact dryer model VD7002JW419.

I have an older wall mounted compact dryer model VD7002JW419. It has been a really good unit. AI was using it a lot yesterday and at the end it turned off and would not restart. It made a momentary electric hum when I turned the knob to start. I got the drum to turn by hand. Could a belt be broken and jamming? Or is the motor gone? There was no smell of anything electric cooked or burned rubber.
Submitted: 2 years ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, This model number isn't comming up can you recheck it ? is this an American dryer ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is an older GE compact unit. I am not at home to recheck the number. I can recheck tonight. The unit looks very similar to current models
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is an older GE model that looks very much like their current compact wall mounted units. I am not at home to recehck the number but could do this tonight.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX breaking should cause this to jam the drum. my thoughts are you may have something jammed in the blower or the motor has failed. I'll see what I can find tonight, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The drum turns with some force required and the motor momentarily (when you turn the knob) sounds like it is trying but doesn't actually run.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
try this tonight, have someone hold the door button in (while the door is open) and the press start while spinning the drum by hand, see if it starts.let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will, and I will confirm the model number .

I'll contact tomorrow.

Thanks Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX great day ! Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I appreciated your input. I dismantled the dryer and realized that the
motor brake was the issue. It would not release to let it turn, hence the
sound. At that age of unit I decided to buy a replacement dryer. Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your welcome.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.