Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

i have model KSRG25FKSS04 SIDE BY SIDE IT IS NOT MAKING

Customer Question

i have model KSRG25FKSS04 SIDE BY SIDE

IT IS NOT MAKING ICE, BUT GIVES ME WATER.

THE RED LIGHT IN THE FREEZER IS FLASHING.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

My name isXXXXX will assist you tonight

Customer:

doyou see my notes to the left?

repairguy :

I think so, you can hear the unit trying to fill put it does not fill

Customer:
i have model KSRG25FKSS04 SIDE BY SIDE IT IS NOT MAKING ICE, BUT GIVES ME WATER. THE RED LIGHT IN THE FREEZER IS FLASHING.

Optional Information:
Brand: KITCHENAID
Type of Appliance: Refrigerator
Model Number: KSRG25FKSS04
What have you tried so far?: RUNNING THE COLD WATER FOR A WHILE. I CAN HEAD IT TAYING TO FILL, BUT THE ICE MAKER IS EMPTY
repairguy :

is that correct

Customer:

yes

repairguy :

but you are getting water when you ask for it

Customer:

yes

repairguy :

There is a spout where the water goes into the icemaker, can you see it?

Customer:

no, but then, i haven't been looking for it.

Customer:

should i go look for it?

Customer:

you willl have to wait...so giveme the directions when i find it

repairguy :

I would suggest taking a look just to make sure it is not frozen over

Customer:

ok, pleasee wait here

repairguy :

There is a cover over the ice maker, it may have a screw in it but most do not.

repairguy :

once you remove the cover you should see the spout

Customer:

yesm it is black on the right and i squeezed it and it is empty

repairguy :

When you say you hear it trying what do you hear

Customer:

earlier i heard that whirr noise when the water is going to start going into the icemaker and the red light was momentarially off because I opened up the freezer and checj the ice tray and it was empty, and then the red light came back on.

repairguy :

I can not tell from the diagram, so I will need you to look for me.

repairguy :

Does the Ice maker have a small button you can push to start a harvest, sometimes they call it a test switch

Customer:

i don't think so, i never used it. where would it be? in plain sight? then NO

Customer:

i will look right now

repairguy :

yes usually near the motor part of the ice maker, sometimes you can just put pressure on the fingers pulling towards you and the unit will start the harvest. dont pry just try pressure. I am trying to determine if our problem is with the ice maker or the valve.

repairguy :

making the unit harvest will activate the water valve

Customer:

there is no switch that I can find. the fingers won't budge and the red light is flashing on the icemaker monitor on the side of the freezer.

repairguy :

That is a eye, that is how the unit knows if the door is closed and the unit is able to produce ice.

repairguy :

It should be blinking

Customer:

yes it is

repairguy :

If the spout is clear, I would say you have a defective water valve.

Customer:

i can not find a harvest button, switch

Customer:

in the fridge or in my house?

repairguy :

The valve is a dual valve, one side does the water the other supplies the ice maker

Customer:

if the water comes out i know that the fridge is receiving water. where is this valve and how do i fix it?

repairguy :

On the unit, they are very easy to replace would you like me to locate one for you

Customer:

yes, ifyou say it is easy to do

Customer:

do i have to take apart the unit and take it out of the freezer?

repairguy :

It is located in the rear of the unit, you will need to pull it away from the wall, turn off the water supply and just remove the connections and the wire connectors.

Customer:

too complicated for me.....how much is the part?

Customer:

the fridge is very heavy

repairguy :

W10408179 is the valve you need, it sells for $68.78 at www.automaticappliance.com

repairguy :

It is on rollers you should be able to roll it out

repairguy :

I promise if you get behind the unit, this repair is very quick

Customer:

ok, i will try first.....i should go online and order the part now.

Customer:

i guess we are done. and you are sure this is the part?

repairguy :

Im sure you can, if you get stuck, just come back to this thread, I will be notified and will be more than happy to help

repairguy :

Yes, if I was at your home repairing this unit, I would be selling you the same part right now

Customer:

thank you. but if i purchase the part and it doesn't solve the problem what else could it be?

repairguy :

Please take a moment to rate my answers before you leave tonight

Customer:

ok

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.