The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Hello, I have a WTW5700XW) Whirlpool Cabrio. The unit will

I have a WTW5700XW) Whirlpool Cabrio.
The unit will not due a spin cycle. When I do a normal wash the unit will wash and rinse normal. When the unit gets to the spin cycle the unit will start to spin up to speed and then stops and the lid lock light flashes. I ahve to wait 5 to 10 minutes before the lid will unlock.

I does the same thing when I run the drain and spin cycle.

What part would cause this issue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
The door lock assembly isnt sending the correct signal to the control board indicating that the door is closed and locked.
Replacing the door lock will fix the problem.
Give me a couple minuets and I will get you parts and repair information.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there anyway I can bypass the switch until I can obtain a new one?

I am sorry but no. These units are designed to know when the switch is being bypassed and will not allow you to do so.

Please click here to order the new lock assembly.

This is easy to install. Use a putty knife and insert it about 1-3 inches in from the sides between the cabinet and the top. Press in on the spring clips to open the top. You will also have to do the same thing on both sides of the control consol to open it up.

Once both are open you can replace the lock assembly.

Just a couple screws and an electrical connection is all there is to it.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.

Thank you.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the trick with the putty knife. I pushed in on the sping clip but the lid to not release. Do you have to pry the lid forward to clear the sheetmetal bracket?

Feel for the sides of the clip. Then center the putty knife and press HARD. Lift up on the lid at the same time. It will come loose. Repeat on both sides.