Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.

How Do I unlock the oven door on Kenmore model(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
I am sorry but the model number you provided is not showing as a valid number.
Please check it again.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oops! try 911.46755590

I am sorry but I do not have the information you need.

I will opt out and another expert may.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so it will go to someone else?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I didn't get an answer!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
This is a tough one to open unfortunately. get a coat hanger and make a hook at the end. slide it between the top of the door and the top of the range, pull the latch hook over to the left. graphicsometimes jiggling the door or pushing the door slightly to the right while pulling to the left helps, once you have the door open you will need to replace the door latch lock motor assembly. Door Lock Motor and Switch Assembly WB49T10020 Main Product View you can order it at the following link. latch motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the latch in the middle of the door?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes it is, I know this is hard because thats the way we have to do it when we go out on a call like that. I hate them ! LOL, anyway its the only way, theres no buttons you can push unfortunately, the lock motor has failed. very common issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pull the hook to the left? The picture shows a hook going to the left, or that just for illustrative purposes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The information provided did not work. I can't get the door open!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took three screws out of the bottom of the door. This loosened the door enough for me to see the locking mechanism going into the oven. I took a metal rod and put it into the side of the door and tried moving the locking rod in all directions, up, down, left, right. Nothing worked. It appears to be around rod going into the oven and not a flat design like the picture showed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
My name isXXXXX would like you to go to another website and take a look at the parts picture of the door lock.

Goto www.searspartsdirect.com enter in your model number and the door lock has its own picture for you to look at. This is the exact door lock that is on your unit. I would have to agree with the other experts that you will have to hook the latch and pull while trying to open the door.

I want to help you on this, so please ask me anything you need that will assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The problem is, it doesn't look like the picture. At least, what I can see. In the diagram, it shows the hook to be flat metal. I can pull the edge of the door away and see the part and it is a round piece of metal. (at least what I can see) It goes from the door into the oven. I slid a flat metal bar into the oven and tried pushing it left and right and even up and down and it doesn't move it. Should it be hard to move?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
yes sometimes they are next to impossible, If you have a partner that can help sometimes it is easier. I personally take a wire hanger heavy quality like for hanging pants, cut it about 10 inches and make a u shaped hook out of one end, the insert the hook in the middle of the oven door and when I catch the latch, I pull to the left (90 % of the time) and slightly push the door to the right and pull to open, This is why I say a partner can be helpful
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I had to sign off last night and I see you re listed the question. Actually Rick gave you basically the same answer I did but you rated me poor. this goes against my record, I hope you will reconsider that and rate me 3 or above. Thanks, Bryan