The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

GE GSH25VGRE WW, side by side refrigerator. We moved it to

GE GSH25VGRE WW, side by side refrigerator. We moved it to the garage about six months ago, upright the whole time, worked fine before we moved it. Cleaned it up today and plugged it in, but it is not cooling. The fans are running, but the temperature in the freezer is staying constant around 75 degrees. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
Can you hear the compressor start up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what that sounds like... I unplugged it, and when I plugged it back in, I could hear something start up. Whether that was the fan or the compressor, I do not know.

Okay. Try this to be sure. Pull it out away from the wall so you can access the lower rear of the unit.
Unplug it and while you listen closely plug it back in. The compressor is located at the bottom of the unit. Listen for a vibrating kind of low ringing sound. That will be the compressor starting up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Plugging it back in, there was a single click and then the fan started up. No compressor that I could hear.

Thats actually a good thing. Says that your hard start system is the problem.

Be back in a bit with parts and repair information.

Please click here to view a breakdown of your unit and order the parts.

You will need a hard start capacitor and a hard start relay.

What has happened is the capacitor or relay has just got old and needs to be replaced.

When either component gets old the power required to start the compressor just isnt there. That is the click you hear. The relay killing the power to the compressor due to insufficient power to get it started.

Thge repair is simple. Remove the cover on th eside of the compressor and replace both components under it.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.

Thank you.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great, thanks. We will pick up the parts tomorrow from our local repair and let you know if it works. I appreciate the help!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, the capacitor and relay came in today, and we replaced them this evening. Still no luck. When we plug in the unit, I still hear the click and the fan comes on, but no compressor. We then cleaned a few connections and tightened things down and it sounds a bit different, perhaps like the compressor is running on its lowest setting, but still not enough to blow cold air. Any further thoughts?

If the compressor sounds like it is straining to get up to full speed
(this is a single speed compressor) then the compressor is worn out.
You can ohm out the compressor to show whether it is going out or not.
Please see the drawing below for the testing specs.

Testing is done with the compressor disconnected from the unit.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here