Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a side by side Whirlpool Gold refrigerator/freezer with

I have a side by side Whirlpool Gold refrigerator/freezer with a very fancy water/ice dispenser, model # XXXXX The ice dispenser no longer works. It makes ice, but won't dispense either cubes or crushed ice. The moter makes a noise when pushed, but then stops within a couple seconds. I've emtied the ice bin and it still doesn't work. Suggestions please?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So usually this means that your auger motor has frozen, but the motor itself could be defective and needs to be replaced. To access the auger motor, you need to actually remove the dispenser front face to access the auger motor to warm it up with a hair dryer. Now you could just unplug the unit and leave the door open for 2 or 3 hours and it'll thaw out on it's own if it's frozen, but if you don't have somewhere to put the food, then you can try to take the refrigerator apart and thaw it out quicker with a hair dryer. It's definitely not an easy task but if you unplug the refrigerator, remove the drip tray at the bottom of the dispenser and remove the 2 screws at the bottom, the entire dispenser should pull out. If not, then you need to use a small flat head screwdriver and pry up under the dispenser panel between the skin of the door and the frame of the dispenser. Either way, that dispenser frame pulls out to allow you to thaw out the auger motor with a hair dryer. If it doesn't start working after thawing the motor out, then below is a link to the auger motor you need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE for auger motor

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.