Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

WE HAVE A GEPROFILE REFIG THAT RUNS ALL THE TIME . THE FREEZER

WE HAVE A GEPROFILE REFIG THAT RUNS ALL THE TIME . THE FREEZER IS COLD BUT NOT COLD ENOUGH TO STAY FROZEN .THE REFRI COMPARTMENT GETS COOL BUT NOT REAL COOL. THE DEFROST COIL IS NOT FROZEN UP AND AND THE DEFROST FAN WORKS AND ALSO THE COMPRESSER FAN . THE UNIT IS ABOUT 13 YEARS OLD.

AND DOES NOT FREEZE
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, when you said you defrosted the coils did you remove the back wall panel inside the freezer behind your food to do this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes and the coils were not frozen up.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay were they evenly frosted all the way down ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they had no frost on them at all. they were cool to the touch. i let the unit run for two days and they never frosted up.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh, thats not good. It can only mean one of two things , If the compressor is running and your sure of that. This is a sealed system problem not a thermostat. This is either low on freon or the compressor is bad. those are the only two things that will cause this not to frost. unfortunately you would need an AVAC tech to look at this. if its a recharge you need your looking at about $200.00, a compressor on the other hand is around $600.00 to replace, you may want to weigh your options at this point, consider a new refrigerator since this is 13 years old now. thats up to you. the coils should frost in less than an hour normaly. sorry for the bad news, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thats what we thought. well we tried. thanks for your great help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome. just make sure before you get rid of this make sure the compressor is actually running. feel it and it will be vibrating. thanks and have a great day, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the compresser is warm to the touch and it is vibrating. i guess it is not the compresser.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

yes it is, Well at least you know, have a great night and please remember to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you, thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.