Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My GE Spacemaker XL 1800 microwave oven began making a terrible grinding noise one day, an

My GE Spacemaker XL 1800 microwave oven began making a terrible grinding noise one day, and I think I saw a small amount of smoke come from the oven while it was reheating something. It has remained unplugged for some months, but now I am selling my condo and I need to either fix or replace the unit. What is the most economical way to do this? Thanks!
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So that loud grinding noise you heard with smoke can come from the transformer shorting out, or the magnetron shorting out. If the loud noise sounded more like a really loud vibrating hum, that would be the transformer. If the noise sounded more like intermittent grinding type zaps, that would be the magnetron. Either way, the repair is quite expensive at about $150 for the part alone. These XL1800 unites are getting a little order so I wouldn't think that repairing it is the best option due to the cost of the parts, but that's completely up to you. You can get another over the oven microwave for about $200 + installation (so maybe another $70-90). To repair either problem would be roughly the same cost when you factor in part, trip, and labor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!