Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Our maytag MAH24OOA washer just hums regardless of the setting.

Our maytag MAH24OOA washer just hums regardless of the setting. It went through a cycle just fine yesterday. It sounds like the motor is seized but there is no smell of electric. The drum moves freely in either direction. One post suggested a belt problem. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from Just Answer
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 32 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs under my belt.

The belt is the first thing I would recommend checking also .

Remove the top panel (two screws from the rear) and look if belt is broken .

Here is a link for the belt CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Woody I assume you mean the belt may be broken. Out of curiosity why would the machine be humming..?.

If this is the case?

good question !

If the belt is broken the machine would not know it, so the drive motor will still run just as if it was working . and that would be the humm sound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks. The unit is under my dryer, so its going to be an effort to get at it. I will have a crack at it later today. I did go through one test that showed the rpm at 0 would that still be consistent?

Yes it is not seeing any revolutions from the inner basket
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Woody

OK - I pulled the washing machine out from the wall and took the panel off the back. The belt is intact and connected to the drum. The noise is more like a `buzzing`than a ``humming`` - my wife points out it sounds a bit like an alarm clock. In any case, the drum doesn`t turn, nor does the tub empty.

What would be the next suggestion

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Woody was fine, but it took me a couple of days before I could perform his suggestion. I have done the check he suggested and would like to have some further thoughts today. As Woody is obviously not online today, I am opening this question to an available tech.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon. I hope to help you. First is the humming at the very beginning of the cycle when water is supposed to go in ? is water going in ? like it is supposed to ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

the humming or buzzing occurs at the beginning of the cycle. For example, the machine has been off for a day. I turned it on just 30 minutes ago and selected `the quick wash` cycle. After the door locked, the buzzing or humming started. I could see that the motor is not turning.

It is hard to tell, where exactly the noise is coming from but definitely not the motor. I can touch the motor and it is not vibrating.

I notice there are a number diagnostic sequences that can be run - should I try one of them.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay what this sounds like to me is the water inlet valve is humming. this is supposed to put water in at the beginning. can you get to the back of the washer ? If so turn the washer on and go behind it, Where the water lines from the house connect to the washer feel the hoses up close to the machine. is that whats vibrating or humming ? does it sound like it comming from there ? also make sure the water didn't get shut off accidentally to the machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

OK. I started the machine at the `quick wash` setting. After the door locked, the humming or buzzing started and i was able to hold both the hot and cold input right by the machine. It certainly didn`t feel like there was a vibration there. It is difficult to tell, but the noise seems to be coming from in front of the motor, but for obvious reasons I`m reluctant to go sticking my hand into that area!

One other point - when the noise started the other day, the machine had filled and was starting to wash. Then it stopped and the buzzing began. It was full of water. We were able to open the door and take out the wet clothes and bail a certain amount of water out. But now, regarless of the setting, it just buzzes when I start it.

The water is on for sure and we have good pressure through the house.

Is there a separate motor for the water pump out. The buzzing is not accompanied by a smell, so I don`t think it is a short circuit.

As I said earlier the machine did go through a couple of cycles before this problem started.

Perhaps another point, the machine was shut off for the winter, I did drain it according to instructions and as I mentioned it did go through a few cycles after I started it up.

I appreciate your help.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Further to this.

I just took the front cover off (at the bottom of the machine) and started it again. There is a hole at the bottom right of the machine, behind the kick plate and when the buzzing starts, I can feel it in the little white device that is there.

So whatever it is, is the device that is buzzing.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay perfect. The issue is the drain pump. Drain Pump 34001098 Main Product View you most likely have something in it stopping it from draining but the pump will hum and try. see if you can get your hand on this. I'll bet its vibrating but not draining, that would account for the drum not moving and no water going in. you will need to remove the pump and clear out whatever is stopping it. there may be a booby pin or a nail something like that in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - I`ll give it a try - can I remove this from the front of the machine. (for some reason, my keyboard doesn`t allow me to enter a question mark) :-(.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you should be able to. do you have the front off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If by the front you mean the `kick plate` at the bottom under the door - yes. The access ` hole` is about 2.5 inches in diameter and I certainly won`t be able to get wrenches etc into that opening.

I`m thinking I`ll need to lay the machine on it`s side to get at this.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well you should be able to reach that through the back. do you have room ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I`ll move it further from the wall and try from the back. but it is all pretty close to the floor and of course the pump is at the front of the machine. :-(. If I need to, will it hurt to lay the machine on the side and get at the pump that way.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Its not good to lay these on their sides, you can damage the machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - thanks - I`ll get at it somehow. I`ll report back later and if this fixes the problem, I`ll close the ticket. thanks for your help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome, I'm pretty sure it will. have a great day. and if you find the pump has failed you can order the exact replacement at this link. pump thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bryan

OK - the machine is now working - although it is a bit of a mystery. I got the hoses off the pump and couldn`t see any blockage, so I took the pump off the machine. I inspected it carefully and there was nothing preventing it from rotating. I put it on the bench and applied 120 V and it spun just fine. Put it all back together, went through a quick wash and drain and all seems normal.

For the life of me, I can`t figure out why the pump wasn`t spinning before - but thanks to you all for your help!.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
wow you must have had some kind of an air block. not sure but at least its running ! good job, sorry I had to run out just got back.thanks and please don't forget to rate me three or above so I get credit for helping you. well wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.