Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a ge profile pss29ngpbb, I replaced the defrost thermostat

I have a ge profile pss29ngpbb, I replaced the defrost thermostat and temperature sensor above coils in freezer. The freezer is still not cooling below 20. I think there are temperature sensors in other places, but can't find them.
Submitted: 1 year ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 32 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs under my belt.

Do you have ice or frost on the evpaorator coil in the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

ok is the evaporator even getting COLD?

Is the compressor in the rear of the unit running ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

don't know

yes, refrigerator temp is correct only freezer won't cool below 20

is the freezer fan running ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Ok so no frost on the coils fan is running ,

Can you pull the unit out and remove the rear cover and see if the rear fan is running ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but it will take awhile.

I was told that there are more temperature sensors in my unit, but I don't know where they are or how to get to them.

From what you are saying it does not sound like a temperature sensor at all .

You have a cooling issue .

Thats is why we are starting to look at the cooling system

The freezer is the only thing that cools entire unit .

we need to see why it is not cooling properly .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

fridg. is running and fridg. unit cooled to 37, as it should be.

I can't hear the fan, should it be running all the time and if not how do I make it click on by it's self.

Anytime the cooling system is running the rear condesner fan should be running .

If the fan is not running , and the compressor will get hot and shut down because it gets too hot .

if the fan is not running but the Black compressor is running ,you have a faulty fan motor assembly .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How to fix?

Where are the sensors?

if the fan is bad you can only fix it by replacing it .

the freezer sensor is on the right side wall freezer wall ,

The freshfood sensor is on the left side wall of the freshfood section . both approx 1/3 up the wall

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

instructions on how to replace the fan.

Very simple

remove the rear panel ,unplug the electrical harness .

remove the fan blade ,remove the screws that hold the motor in place pull the motor out to install new fan just reverse the process

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I get to sensors in case the fan repair doesn't fix problem?

They are mounted right on thec sidewalls ,and they just pop right out with a screw driver then you will have to cut the wires and splice in the new parts if they need to be replaced .

Have you verified the fan is or is not running ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should it run all the time, if not, how do I get it to auto. turn on?

Any time the compressor has power the condenser fan will also have power and it will be running !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fan not running and area is warm. So, I will order a fan. Thank You!

no problem ,glad to assit you
Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line