Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kenmore side by side refrigerator model # XXXXX divider

Customer Question

Kenmore side by side refrigerator model # XXXXX divider is too warm. What should I try first?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So to start, the divider between the refrigerator and freezer gets hot when the compressor is over-working. Usually this happens when the condenser fan motor next to the compressor stops running and the compressor overheats. Pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back panel and if the fan next to the compressor isn't running, check to see if anything is blockign the fan blade from moving. If you find anything remove the debris and you should be good to go again. If the fan is not being blocked by anything and it's not running, you'll likely just need to replace the condenser fan motor so below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for condenser fan motor

Now if you have a multimeter, you can test between the 2 wires going to the condenser fan motor and confirm it's getting 120 volts. If so, then you definitely need to replace the condenser fan motor. If you're not even getting 120 volts, then you'd need to replace the control board that sends power to the condenser fan motor. The control board is rarely the problem, but I just wanted to give you all the possibilities.

Lastely, if you pull the unit out and the fan is running--clean the condenser coils below the refrigerator and see what happens. If the divider doesn't cool down, you'll need a technician to come out because your compressor is over-heating for no reason and you'll likely need a new compressor.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?