Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I recently changed my water filter and emptied the ice maker

Customer Question

I recently changed my water filter and emptied the ice maker and now it isn,t making ice
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If water is still dispensing then there isn't a problem with the filter, but it is possible that replacing the filter caused a problem. You must flush out all the air in the system once you replace the filter which involves running a few gallons of water through the dispenser after replacing the filter. If not, then air will cause the fill tube on the icemaker to freeze up and prevent water from coming to the icemaker. So if changing the filter had any effect on the icemaker--that would be the culprit.

To see if the fill tube is clogged, pull the refrigerator forward and locate the water line coming down from the icemaker area. Disconnect this water line down at the electronic water valve at the bottom of your refrigerator on the back and blow through it to see if it's clear. If it's not clear, then you'll want to open the freezer door and point a hair dryer at the fill tube above the icemaker for 15-20 minutes until it's thawed out and you can blow through the water line.

If you can blow through the water line without needing to thaw the line out, then you have a different issue. Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?