Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

My GE Profile Model number PS423PSRA and serial number FG436506

My GE Profile Model number PS423PSRA and serial number FG436506 is
neither cooling nor is the freezer cooling anything. Only about 8 year old fridge.
Tried taking the back panel off and vacuuming the dust accumulated.
Still stuck on 76-77 degrees on both sides. Tried restarting as well. Thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today :)

Can you pull the unit out from the wall, remove the lower panel in the rear. Once the panel is off you will see the compressor, feel the compressor, need to know if it feels hot or room temp, also need to know if the fan beside the compressor is running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

room temp

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Is the fan blowing beside the compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

fan is runnning

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you look at the sticker inside the fridge at the sticker that has the model number on it, the model number you gave me does not come up on my system, can you check it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not 100 % sure because the sticker shows multiple numbers

Says GE Profile Arctica Refrigerators

Then:

PSC23NG / PSI23NG / PSC23SG / PSI123SG / PSH23PG / PSH23PS

Serial number is XXXXX is any help

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is likely the large sticker, there may be a sticker down by the hinge that shows the full model number, either that or there will be a sticker on the back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PSH23PSRA SVFG436505

sticker on back

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds very much like the control board has failed, this is what controls everything on the appliance. This will need to be replaced. This is located behind the metal panel in the rear of the unit, once all the screws have been removed you will have access to the control.

I strongly recommend you buy the parts from the link below, They offer a year warranty and will allow you to return the part even after it has been installed, Other suppliers offer no warranty or 90 days and will not allow electronic parts to be returned.

Click here to order the control

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news :)

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service" or above so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does the motherboard just pull straight off then?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It's held in with little plastic clips, Use a pair of needle nose pliers to pinch the clips, pull the board at the same time, the control board should come with full instructions on how to do the replacement.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Sounds self explanatory. Will see how it goes.

Have yet to receive the new board but will let you know

Wish me luck!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Good luck

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Mike,

I did everything mentioned. Replaced the part and plugged in exactly as it was and no change. Still room temperature. Neither freezer nor refrigerator side are chilling or freezing. Now what?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It's been plugged in for a while?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Left it plugged in at least 24 hours and both freezer and refrigerator are set at 75 degrees. Can hear blower fan in back going but just not getting cold. Thoughts?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you take the panel off in the rear, behind the panel is the compressor, feel the compressor, need to know if it's hot or cold, also let me know if the fan beside it is running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try that again. Might be a few minutes...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

compressor should be to the left of the fan? Or is the fan connected directly to the compressor? please advise

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

fan is blowing fine

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
the compressor is the round metal part in the rear and the condensor fan is next to the coils.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah, think i figured it out. Says Embraco VEGT 8H

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
yep is it hot or cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cold. Not doing anything

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
ok let me look something up, will post back in a moment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok and thank you

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
ok I think that if I pulled up the correct model there is another board in a plastic box near the compressor, if the compressor is not firing up then the problem is likely to be with the inverter board, If you purchased the part at the link I gave you then they should exchange the boards.

Click here to order the inverter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What model number did you pull up? Just being sure before I order. Also, you think this will do it. Also, is that the grey looking box attached to the compressor? If so, how does it come off? Please advise and thanks for your help!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I used the model number you gave me in a previous post, you would just hook it up the way the old board comes out, I can't see it being anything else if the compressor is not running other then a bad compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Either way, thank you again for your assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model number is PSH23PSRA

then SVFG436506

let me know if any changes thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That is the model number I used.

Call this number in the morning just check with them this model number carries the inverter just to be sure.
877-859-1979

Then if it does order the inverter from the link, if it does not get back to me or if you dont see the inverter in the rear near the compressor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
your welcome