Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool Gold over the range microwave that the door

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Gold over the range microwave that the door won't stay shut and when held shut it starts running if plugged in. Any ideas on how to fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? The model should be located on a sticker just inside the cavity of the microwave and can be seen if you open the door.

Also, if you open the door and pull up on the plastic door hook on the door itself, does it feel like they are being pulled down by a spring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what the model number is. It's a Whirlpool Gold Accuwave System Microwave purchased I think in 2009. I'm wondering if it's because it's not installed that the door just swings loose?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Whether the unit is installed or not, that shouldn't affect whether or not the door latches shut and holds shut. Sometimes the spring that puls down the latch hooks inside the door breaks and won't pull the hooks down causing this problem. Other times one of the plastic receptacles behind the front panel of the microwave will flip backwards and not return to the open position so the hooks can't latch into place. If that's the case, usually all you need to do is flip the latch receptacal forward again and it'll start working. You'd want to remove the vent panel above the door and then the control panel to the right of the door in order to access the latch receptacles so you could see exactly what is happening when you shut the door and if one of the receptacles is flipped backwards, flip it forward again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would that cause the microwave to run when it shouldn't. Like if you are holding the door closed it automatically comes on?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes it would. There are 3 door switches and if 1 or 2 door switches are activated while the 3rd one is not, that causes the microwave to turn on, or "act" like it's on. It doesn't actually heat, it just looks like it's trying to heat.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I remove the control panel next too the door? Sorry this took so long. I just got access to the microwave.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Below is a video that shows give you a pretty good idea of what is involved.

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!