Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag msd2343arw fridge. It worked fine for some

Customer Question

I have a Maytag msd2343arw fridge. It worked fine for some time but recently the temperature in freezer has gone up some and the fresh food side hovers around 40-45. My condensor fan motor had gone out several months ago ( it was stuck ) and the compressor was cycling on/off as well as incredibly hot. I replaced the motor and cleaned the condensor which seemed to correct the issue. But the fresh side never cooled below 40 again. I did some troubleshooting, first I pulled off the panel inside the freezer to find a giant chunk of ice on the top of the coils, the thermostat suspended in the ice, and a frozen drain. I melted the ice, unclogged the drain and put the thermostat back. Two days and still nothing so I turned the defrost timer to kick on a defrost cycle, no heat, so I replaced the thermostat/heater combo. Still no improvement, the freezer is cold but takes several days to freeze a large cup of water. The ice maker works and ice is solid.

One thing I did notice is that if I unplug the lead going to the thermostat/heater ,I have 1-5 vAC , if I kick on the defrost cycle, it goes to 120vAC but within 20 seconds drop back to the lower range.Also, regarding frost on the coils (if it matters), after melting the ice for the first time, after 24 hours, the back top 2 rows of the coils had heavy frost on them and fresh food side was just at 40 degrees (back top left on the coils is freon intake from what I can tell) . The next day the fresh side was back up to around 45, I pulled the freezer panel again and the back two rows from top to bottom had heavy frost but none on the front two.

So just to summarize everything as it stands right now, some frost on top rear coils, all fans running, drain line is clear as well as vents from freezer to fridge. The compressor is running, of the two lines one is somewhat cold and the other is luke warm , the compressor itself is warm (from having my Home AC fixed I assumed they should be cold to the point of having condensation on the surface of the one line and the other warm-hot to the touch, but I may be wrong).

My wife is getting annoyed at all the spoiled milk so any help is greatly appreciated!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So your problem is that the coils are not frosting up properly. You're getting heavy frost on 2 rows of the coils but not on the rest of them. You should have all the coils lightly frosted from top to bottom. If not, then it means that you have an inefficient compressor or a low freon charge. Whether you need to replace the compressor or recharge the unit with freon, you need to be licensed to work on the refrigeration system so you'd need to call a technician at this point to fix the issue. The cost to recharge the unit is usually about $350 and the cost of a new compressor would be about $550.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That will do it, I ended up replacing the fridge.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I'm sorry to hear you needed a new refrigerator, but if you need anything else--just let me know.