Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE refrigerator model #GFSF2KEYA BB freezes the food in

My GE refrigerator model #GFSF2KEYA BB freezes the food in the crisper drawers and in the rear of the bottom shelf. I replaced the damper duct assembly but did not solve the problem.What do you suggest?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is more of just a bad design than anything else. The air comes out the damper duct assembly and then goes into the refrigerator, but it's always going to be colder where the air circulate which is through the damper assembly and that is where things are freezing. What I would suggest is to remove all the crisper/deli drawers as well as remove all the shelf framing inside the refrigerator. Ignore the slotted vents toward the back on the floor of the refrigerator sections, but any other hole you see, plug up with perma gum (can be picked up at most hardware stores it's sort of like silly putty). If you plug up the holes at the bototm of the refrigerator, the air will be forced to come from the top first and then go down like most other refrigerators. This will help with things freezing at the bottom.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If it is just poor design, why did it work fine until just after the 3-year warranty was up?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's possible that you just changed a setting and the freezer is too cold causing too much air to migrate up into the refrigerator. You can try to set the freezer section warmer, but blocking the holes with perma gum corrects for the refrigerator issue being so sensative. As for a reason why an issue gets worse over time, things just don't run as efficiently, insulation breaks down a bit---whatever the case is I've told you everything you can do now to try to solve the situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's really hard to tell if this is good service until we try this to see if it works but I'll give you an ok rating so you can get your money. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, well if you need anything else just let me know. This really is a good service in my opinion. It allows you to talk to the best experts in the industry directly one on one. Less than 5% of applicants are accepted into being an expert for JustAnswer.com and there are background checks and whatnot to make sure they are getting qualified technicians that work in the industry and have real world experience.

Either way, you can definitely come back and ask follow-up questions should you have any.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.