Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Maytag Neptune MDE9700AYW Dryer problem

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Maytag Neptune MDE9700AYW dryer that's making an electrical buzzing sound when the power is off to the dryer. When I push the power button the control panel makes a dinging sound continuously while the LED's blink on and off very quickly. If I hold down the CHIME and TEMP buttons I hear three beeps.

Here is a video I made to also help you understand the problem:

Thanks! Josh

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for using this service.

The board could be bad on the unit, but you should check the door switch and make sure it is working. The light should go on and off when it is pressed and then I would check the thermistors resistance. That is mounted on the blower housing and you would need to remove the front panel on the unit to get at it. You should see about 10K ohms across the thermister. If it is buzzing it could be the transformer on the control board and that may very well be the issue. If you are worried about the cost of replacing it in case it is not the problem do not worry. Order the part here as you can return it even after it has been installed just in case. All I ask is that you rate my assistance so far thank you!

after seeing the video I would definitely say the board is bad I couldn't get it to load right away but I just watched it. also there is the display board there it will be hard to say which one exactly is bad given those circumstances

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, That's what I was wondering. Can you refer me to a video or diagram to replace the board?

Here is a video to show you how to get it all apart for both boards....I believe your main interface board may be the issue, given the issue that I saw with your youtube video.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ordered the main board based on your answer to the first question... now you're also saying it could be the main interface board as well?

Please clarify what you think the problem could be... I just spent $230 using the link you provided in your answer.

It could be either, it is hard to say as both could be causing the issue. The main board could be the issue you just will not know until you put them in . There is no way to test them for the problem you have, you will just have to get it and try it. The good news is you can return it even after it was installed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I'll try the main board first and see how that goes... it should be delivered tomorrow. I will leave feedback once the repair is complete.

Yes it will be one of the two. I just wish I could tell you exactly which one, but the main board gives power to the interface board so it may solve the issue right away. Just let me know and please leave me feedback with a rating. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should receive the control board today via FedEx to repair the unit. I watched the video you sent but that was for a Samsung and it didn't exactly show how to get the top off... it just showed someone sliding the top back?

Are there some screws on the back I need to take out before doing that? If you could help me find a more relavent video that shows the steps to take the top or front off and where the unit is inside the dryer I would appreciate it.

Thanks! Josh

There are 2 large black screws on the back edge of the top panel to get it off. Even though your unit says Maytag that unit was made by Samsung and disassembly is the same as the video.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Replacing the control board did the trick. Thanks for the help!