Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool upright freezer EV187NYRS04 and the fan

I have a Whirlpool upright freezer EV187NYRS04 and the fan wasn't working. I replaced the evaporator fan motor but I broke one of the tab thingies off one of the white wires while I was removing the old motor. Unfortunately I have no idea if I connected the wires correctly or not. Next time I need to take a picture before I take anything apart! I'm pretty sure I have the red and the green ones right. I put the one white wire that still had the connector on the bottom post and left the other one that I broke loose. Surprise - the fan ddin't work. So I touched the lose white wire to the other white wire that was connected and the fan came on. After about 2 minutes I noticed that the coils had heated up and a sizzling sound was happening as the water dripped. The loose white wire had slipped off the connected one but the fan was still going. I went to the store and came back and the fan is off again and the coils are cold and frosted. Can I save this freezer? I think I need to do something with the loose white wire. It's strange though, there are only two post on the back of the old and new motor, but there are three wires!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you take a picture of the wiring and use the paper clip button over the text box to attach it so that I can see how you have it wired up please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I try to add a photo I get and error message. Can I email it to you?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately not. We are not allowed to communicate outside of this chat box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, let me try something else.......just a minute.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay can you see this? troop21238.org/?page_id=162

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can, althought it's quite small. That being said, I can't see where the white wire comes from which is connecting to the fan motor or where that other white wire comes from. Can you try another picture to show that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay and I'll make it bigger.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay it's updated. The white wire that is connected is going to the coil, the one that's not connected goes into the back some where.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so the red and green wires are wired properly.

The white wire not attached to anything should be attached to the fan where the other white wire is connected.

That other white wire that is currectly connected to the fan motor needs to be removed. That is your heater wire. That will plug into something else on the right side somewhere but I can't see where it would plug in based on that picture.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.